Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with old windows XP computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 salmon66

salmon66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Really hope someone can help me on this...

I have a 10 year old dell dimension 2400 computer running windows XP home edition, the problem started last week when booting up one day it took forever and then was faced with a blank desktop but still showing my wallpaper. No icons, and clicking start bar etc wouldn't bring anything up. Checked loads of posts about it being a windows explorer problem and trying to turn it off and then re-running again, but this wouldn't work. I did manage to get into windows safe mode and ran malware bytes to check for a virus.... nothing turned up. It got worse after that and wouldn't boot at all. I took out the hard drive and connected it to my windows 7 computer where I found I couldn't access the drive. I ran chkdisk, it corrected some problems and was then able to retrieve all the files that were important for me from it. This was a blessing for me! So decided to try and repair the windows installation with the recovery disk.... this did not correct any problems and just booted into a blue screen. So decided to do a quick format and reinstall windows from the reinstallation cd, it worked and i had the computer running again.

This installation disk is service pack 1a, and for some reason after adding drivers etc to connect to internet etc there was no option in control panel to update windows ( windows security center was missing also ) when trying to download tdsskiller from a browser.... everytime I tried to visit the site was given the page warning of this page is unavailable.... even though I was at the same time doing a search on my windows 7 machine and could get the page up. I used the direct link for the download, was able to run it and it came up before installation as a process was terminated.... I then checked and noticed that it wasent compatiable with service pack 1, so tried going back to a google search for other rootkit scanners and none of these would load or came up with "this page is unavailable" I tried all these options in safe mode too and had the same results.

I have now done another complete reinstall of windows XP doing a complete format of the hard drive and am getting the same results as above. I have a clean install, except from going into device manager and making sure all the drivers are loaded that I needed.

Sorry for the long winded post, but wanted to outline everything.... I really don't know what else to do apart from pulling more hair out.... and that was something that is lacking before I started this.

I really hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you in advance.

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

You need to install service pack two and service pack 3. Download the standalone installers. See if you get the option to update after installing SP3. If not, you may have to download the Windows Update Agent for XP SP3.

XP SP2

XP SP3

http://www.pbcomp.com.au/windows-xp-updates-fail.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

With an install disk reflected SP1a, you don't have to do a separate install of SP2, just install SP3 (SP2 files included).  There was a lot of confusion about this initially but MS cleared the smoke.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

Louis

#4 salmon66

salmon66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

You need to install service pack two and service pack 3. Download the standalone installers. See if you get the option to update after installing SP3. If not, you may have to download the Windows Update Agent for XP SP3.

XP SP2

XP SP3

http://www.pbcomp.com.au/windows-xp-updates-fail.html

Many thanks. Those links got me up and running and no longer have any issues. I have downloaded virus checkers etc and still haven't found anything that was causing this. Strange as I was convinced it was a virus.

Thank you again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users