Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from CD Drive is only possible with the CD drive that came with machine?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

My sister's boyfriend gave me an old WinMe computer and the CD drive in it has issues, Gparted cannot even boot from it. Since I have 12 CD drives in a bin of electronics that all work,I started trying them all, none of which will boot from the disc inside, I put the original drive in, and WinMe setup fired right up on all the same secondary master cables, I will see if I can install WinMe without any errors.

How do I get my computer to boot using "other" CD drives other than the one that came with the machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

First thing what sort of PC is it? Eg Brand, Laptop or Desktop, How much ram type of processor.

Next have you set the bios to boot from CD?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

HP Pavilian 7850. and yes, I have it set to boot from CD drive. it says ATACI CDrom or something like that in the 1 slot same CDrom name with all drives I used, incl. a few DVD drives

thanks for the speedy reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users