Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the estimated power of a PS4 CPU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Is there a clear answer as to what the actual power of a PS4 CPU is?

On launch Sony/Microsoft stated 100 GFLOPs.

They said it was a underclocked AMD 8 core - and seeing how the regular 8 cores (FX-8350,FX-8150,ect) only do a little over 100 clocked @ around 4Ghz.... I'm not sure how that earlier statement was possible. Whatever, I assumed console optimizations made that 100 number true.

Later on we got the actual specs and saw that it was basiclly two Athlon 5150s (quad core jaguar CPU @ 1.6Ghz) on a chip fused with a Radeon HD 7850. The Anthlon 5150 being about a quarter as powerful as the 4Ghz 8 cored CPU's acording to benchmarks. Brings it to a estimated 50 GFLOPs. Again though, assumming special console instruction sets/optimizations, I guess it's possible. Seeing how AVX more or less doubled the possible power of regular x86/x64 CPUs.

However recently, and I think it's MS that said it after unlocking the usage of more CPU cores from OS only use, they said it could pull 200 GFLOPs.

:hysterical:

Now I know GFLOPs is just a theoretical number (and thus AMD claims all their quad cores can pull 112 GFLOPs like a quad core i5- cause it is only really a theoretical output).

It's just, what is the actual estimated power? Has anyone modded a PS4 and ran any sorta benchmark with the CPU?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

Not sure it addresses your question: http://ps4daily.com/2014/03/playstation-4-cpu-clock-speed-confirmed-at-1-6-ghz/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

Not really other then the physics thing. Already knew the clock speed and architecture, hence the Anthlon 5150.

Have three largly different numbers and have no idea how close to any it actually is.

50 GFLOPs, 100 GFLOPs, or 200 GFLOPs.

Those are pretty big differnces. The most realistic one being the measly 50 since it's based off of real world data and we have no idea how the other two are measured.

Mabey they got the 200 number off the fact that it can do the hUMA thing I imagine. I mean if it can do that then the console is a whole lot more powerful then it's being given credit to be.

Edited by SEANIA, 17 January 2015 - 10:29 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users