Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need advice/suggestions about purchasing new computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curlly62

curlly62

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

I am going to buy a new laptop sometime within  the next couple of months and I would really like opinions/advice as to what is the best deal for my money.

I don't use my computer for any type of "work". Basically, I just use it for email, news, shopping, paying bills, watching movies, playing games (hidden object/match3/solitaire/adventure/time management games) I do have the need for some type of WORD program for typing letters, recipes etc.

My internet connection here is DSL through Century Link, naturally I would like a processor with some speed.

I would really like to stay under $500.  If I have to go much higher than that, I would need to purchase from QVC or HSN and use the FLEXPAY plan that they both have.

Here is a link to one that I found on QVC and the price is only good thru Jan. 19th. http://www.qvc.com/Asus-17-Laptop-Intel-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-w-Software.product.E281461.html?sc=E281461-Targeted&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-37-_-E281461&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/e/61/e281461.001?$uslarge$

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Kinda of interesting. This is the exact laptop I have in my hands right now. Although the price is higher than the value of the lappy, they make up for it with the 1TB of HDD space and the extra 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB.

My opinion on this laptop is awesome, although the mouse pad really sucks as it's too sensitive and find myself plugging in a USB mouse.

That set aside, you can actually freely buy ANY laptop from Best Buy or large retail store as your needs are the bare minimum.

My suggestion is buy something for $400 at a local retail store, remove the bloat ware with software like PC Decrapifier and you're set.

Although if you want the extra RAM and bigger HDD space then go with this Asus. It's a nice find in my opinion you're going the right route.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

I don't use my computer for any type of "work". Basically, I just use it for email, news, shopping, paying bills, watching movies, playing games (hidden object/match3/solitaire/adventure/time management games) I do have the need for some type of WORD program for typing letters, recipes etc.

You could try Linux on the old PC, It is not as hard as you think and with what you use the PC for you would hardly notice the switch.

Think about it and if interested we can help you.

The other benefit of switching to Linux is you wont need a new PC.

#4 curlly62

curlly62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

Kinda of interesting. This is the exact laptop I have in my hands right now. Although the price is higher than the value of the lappy, they make up for it with the 1TB of HDD space and the extra 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB.

My opinion on this laptop is awesome, although the mouse pad really sucks as it's too sensitive and find myself plugging in a USB mouse.

That set aside, you can actually freely buy ANY laptop from Best Buy or large retail store as your needs are the bare minimum.

My suggestion is buy something for $400 at a local retail store, remove the bloat ware with software like PC Decrapifier and you're set.

Although if you want the extra RAM and bigger HDD space then go with this Asus. It's a nice find in my opinion you're going the right route.

I thought it was a great deal, considering the cheap monthly payments. Every computer I have ever purchased came from either QVC or HSN due to the FLEXPAY plan. And I have been happy with every purchase. Never have had any problems with customer service at either one. The first computer I ever purchased was a desktop. It was a DELL and I purchased it directly from DELL. WORST MISTAKE EVER. I will never buy another DELL and trying to deal with DELL customer service was horrible. I have been shopping with QVC/HSN ever since then.

I did see some really good deals on NEW EGG recently. I have never purchased from them, so I don't know that much about their customer service if I were to purchase from them and have any problems.

As for the need for extra space, some of the games that I download from BIG FISH GAMES take up alot of space. One that I downloaded recently was 2048MB RAM and although I un-install them when I complete the game, I keep quite a few on it all the time. I also keep all of my recipes on my computer.

Thank you for your input.

#5 curlly62

curlly62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

You could try Linux on the old PC, It is not as hard as you think and with what you use the PC for you would hardly notice the switch.

I am going to show my "ignorance" here, what is Linux?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

ASUS X751MA-DB01Q Notebook Intel Celeron N2930 (1.83GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD Intel HD Graphics 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-bit - Newegg.com

$479.99

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 ianmcqui

ianmcqui

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

I am going to show my "ignorance" here, what is Linux?

The Unix operating system was conceived in 1969 and in the late eighties work began on a variation of this OS called Linux.

It mostly free and 'open source' so there are many people writing there own varients all with silly geeky names, about 250 distrobutions are available.

The Mac OS is also based on Unix as well and most people are strangely happy to run it on their smart phone or tablet (Arm/Android)but not on their PC, not much choice when you buy a New PC though! It comes with Windows predominately, without a choice.

You can run both on the same machine as I do and benefit from both at no extra cost, one of the distro's I use called AV Linux comes with very good free video and Audio editing software amongst other programs and apart from Publisher files the free WP is ok for most uses in all the Linux distro's I've used.

The average full install of a Linux OS with loads of free software is usually around a third of the size of a typical Windows install without a load of useful bundled sofware.

Installation varies greatly from distro to distro and precautions must be taken before attempting to do so, not usually for a novice.

I found a real appreciation for the OS and although I've a few headaches along the way I couldn't live without it now, fewer updates and often no need to reboot after, a little faster, less memory hungry and a little more secure.

OK I do a scan now and then with 'rkhunter' and or 'chkrootkit' but over a year running with no AV program installed.

I like choice and With Windows I don't have one I work for them, I do all the virus scans, constant updates etc... and I'm the one who pays out for the computer repair shop to get rid of the malware on it or learn from forums like this to be savvy, surf carefully and try and be careful what you click on, all helps!

Research the options and make choice, I did! I'm in the construction industry BTW so no Steven Hawkings by any means.

It's kind of like having two girl friends, ones always late, smacks you around the head with a vase and gives you loads of grief, the other uses a pillow instead and does what she is told most of the time. LOL I'm cath fire for that!

Regards, Ian.

#8 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Hello  I saw your post here ... and I was thinking about it ...if you want something special my suggestion is ASUS  NX 90 ..this is the Rolls Royce of laptops is expensive but is my ideal 2 IN 1 multimedia laptop... you won't be sorry if you see this masterpiece of Taiwanese brand !

This is the bleep I want for Christmas this year :)) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elz5vyXkBwM :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users