Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

use paid or free protection ?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

hello all. i just deleted my paid computer protection/anti virus etc. i had iolo. my puter is an older dell lappy inspiron 1000 xp home. i have malware [free],mcafee [free from optonline] and cc cleaner on it now do i need a paid service or a different one. my main use is visiting some forums,playing some short news movies,e mail. i do not do my banking with this computer or have any games.i know i am on borrowed time with this operating system and i will have to get a new computer soon.thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

No one NEEDS to pay for an AV/Firewall product...some members prefer to do so, for reasons that I don't understand.

Back in the days when there were no free AV/Firewall apps...everyone paid for one.  Since that time, things have changed and I see no reason to pay for products that do the job adequately.  Note that I said "adequately"...the best products are only "adequate" since there are no products which protect against everything to a degree that it can be considered "better" than the rest.

Just like installing programs...installing system-defense programs is just another one of those "user choices" that have personal bases, rather that the fact that one product is "superior" over all others.

Moved topic to appropriate forum.

Louis

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

No one NEEDS to pay for an AV/Firewall product...some members prefer to do so, for reasons that I don't understand.

IMHO and No Disrespect intended.

I am sorry I disagree with that Luis, I think if you use a free AV and like it and can afford it you should buy it and support the Developer.

If more people did that company's would not need to bundle 3rd party software and toolbars with their product to earn an income.

Please note I have no opinion on the type of product you should use or buy.

Edited by NickAu, 17 January 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

No disrepect for you, hamluis, but I use and pay for Kaspersky because I like it. :wink:

The rest is true, though.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

I agree with Louis.

As most of the AV companies share their definitions anyhow there is little difference between the top 5 free solutions compared to the top 5 paid solutions, in terms of consumer "security". Where these companies make their real money and where the real difference is is in terms of corporate security and server security. Not that the protection is that different on the top 5 products, just that the administrative applications can vary greatly. Some manage huge networks more easily and are highly configurable, whilst others are more simplistic for smaller and less involved domains.

In this age of endless greed companies are bundling this software with junk and "giving" it away to domestic consumers. But that's not their core business, it's just a way to squeeze the cow harder for those extra few drops of milk. In fact the whole consumer market is a fraction of the target for most AV companies. They don't really need us. But won't turn down an extra few million to add to the piles. Some people have perceived value if they pay for their products, one must allow for that... if you feel better because you paid for it, pay away.

There are some companies who give their core features away for free to the domestic market without any crap or strings attached, and continue to dominate the corporate market. Good on 'em, I say. These are usually the products we want anyway.

#6 LM3

LM3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

What about Microsoft Security Essentials? It is free and there is no paid version.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

That's a good exception.

MS are dominating the market though, both commercial and domestic. It could be a show of faith for their billions of users.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

hello all. i just deleted my paid computer protection/anti virus etc. i had iolo. my puter is an older dell lappy inspiron 1000 xp home. i have malware [free],mcafee [free from optonline] and cc cleaner on it now do i need a paid service or a different one....

Is it optonline or Optimum?

Internet protection powered by McAfee

At Optimum, we want to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. That is why we have partnered with McAfee® a security industry leader to provide Internet protection powered by McAfee®. You can protect up to 20 devices and it's included with your Optimum Online service.

If that is what you have, then you don't need anything else and you should not even have been using iolo's System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware which is incorporated in System Mechanic Pro.

For the record....Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

my puter is an older dell lappy inspiron 1000 xp home.

I think this was missed by most replies, as M.S.E. will not update on your XP ......... Even more so if you do not have SP3 installed .

See the reply to this by quietman7, but I am fairly sure this is true .....

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

MPC Threat Research & Response Blog: Microsoft Extends Antimalware Support for Windows XP

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP, or the supportability of Windows XP for other Microsoft products, which deliver and apply those signatures.

Additionally, you can always manually download Microsoft Security Essentials definitions (32-bit or 64-bit).

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

Just a small tip for you vaccum :) As of today, free or paid protection doesn't really matter in a way of what's the "best" for you. What matter is that you should get the protection that suits you the best. Ideally, this would include an Antivirus, an Antimalware and a Firewall. For the Antivirus, there's tons of good free Antivirus like avast!, Avira, Panda Cloud, Qihoo 360 IS, etc. that will do the job. The job an Antivirus is supposed to do, nothing more. For an Antimalware, I see that you already have Malwarebytes installed, which is good, as it means that on this side, you're already covered. As for the Firewall, if you're using Windows 7 or more recent (Windows 8/8.1), you'll be just fine with the Windows Firewall as it's been "beefed" up in the last years and is now quite impressive. What I personally think is important right now, as of today, is to be secure when you browse the web, and to achieve that, you'll need to secure your main browsing tool, your web browser. This is done by installing extensions/add-ons that will help you stay secure, like HTTPS Everywhere, Web of Trust, NoScript/ScriptSafe, etc. However, it doesn't mean that you'll be 100% protected. The perfect protection doesn't exist and never will, it's the sad truth of this world. All you can do is to do your best to get as close as possible to it. However, if you add brain.exe and Common Sense Edition of the Year to the mix, you'll get pretty close to it :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

Windows XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer as that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate Browser.

#13 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

thank you all for reassuring me....i feel safer now with what i have. btw. my browser is google,i removed internet explorer. i believe i have service pack 3 operating system. again thanks....this site has been very helpful and friendly

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

I never pay for software, but I have always paid for my antivirus. I've been using ESET for years and have had a clean bill of health ever since. The advantages include technical support and more frequent virus definition updates, among other things.

However, there will never be any adequate free or paid protection for plain stupid. The antivirus is only one of the many layers of protection you need to keep safe, common sense being the most important one of all...

I'd definitely not pay for McAfee and Norton though... :thumbdown:

Edited by Phantom010, 18 January 2015 - 10:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users