Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jstone4422

jstone4422

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Is there the posibility that my router could be infected or is being used as a bot or somehow not allowing full bandwidth.  I have a netgear R6300 smart wifi router

R6300V2 from charter comm. I am suppost to have about 60 Mb speed. My wife is hard wired and sometime get 50 to 60 mb and sometimes around 30mb.  I am on wifi and most of the time i can get around 10 to 13 mb. I have a total of 7 items on the router. It will only show 2-g on my connection. I can't get the 5-g to show so that i can connect to it. Is there someway to check it or to speed it up. I have contacted Charter but no help.

My computer is anHP touchsmart.

Definately not a computer expert just enought to get me in trouble. I have run all basis malware like JRT, mbr, adware cleaner/remover, security check. they have not found anything.

My router says it can be used as an AP. I have it set up not as coming into a modem, then to the router. Should I change this and basicly how?

Not sure what else you ,may need to know but will try to find anything out that you may need. Have read and downloaded some very good stuff from here.    Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Router infected with malware? No. You shouldn't worry about that.

Reset your Router, there could be a possibly that someone implemented rules to throttle your wireless connections though QoS.

Second, often unless you have a high end Router you will always see a significant difference between wireless and a direct wired connection. So keep that in mind, you may need to upgrade routers to support a higher wireless broadcast.

Reset it, see what happens and check back.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 jstone4422

jstone4422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

By reset i assume you mean to shut down router and use the little hole to reset the router back to default. The router is charter cables wireless and is suppose to be upto date. Thanks will try this as soon as I can get all the devices free.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

Just a note -  you need the router to be switched ON when you reset it. You're right, it is that little hole but if you switch the router off first nothing will happen.

And make a note of your router's settings before you do this, you will need to re-instate security after a reset. Since its a Netgear the default passwords for getting into the router control panel are probably Username = admin, password = admin. And the normal default IP address for the router on your network is 192.168.0.1

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jstone4422

jstone4422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Chris I just reset the router and will see what, if any difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users