Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64-bit super slow after Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Yesterday I tried logging into my computer and was given the message: Incorrect Password. I immediately restarted the computer because I knew something was up since I was unable to remote into it from my wife's computer previously. As soon as I clicked on the restart button at the login screen, I was given a Blue Screen with error code 0x000000F4. The computer rebooted, loaded the windows 7 splash screen for about 20 seconds then blue screened again and rebooted. This time I tried to go into safe mode but the exact same thing happened. The blue screen was up just long enough for me to see it but not read anything that it said before the computer restarted.

I looked online and saw I could try a startup repair to fix the error code. So I hit F8 during boot this morning and selected repair windows. I then started a startup repair. After 5 hours, the repair finished. However, after the repair, my computer has been taking several minutes to load each of the following: the windows splash screen, the login screen, the welcome screen, my desktop (without any of my desktop icons), my desktop icons, and a very select few of the services which are supposed to load while others that are supposed to load are not loading at all.

Windows Action Center told me that I needed to turn on BitDefender Antivirus; even though the program was running, the antivirus software was not. It also said I needed to perform a check disk scan due to being unable to access files as well as needing to find an antispyware program even though I have MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium set to load upon startup (which it is no longer doing).

I am currently running checkdisk on my C drive and it is taking a very long time. It is currently in stage 5 of 5 and says it is still at 10% complete. It goes through 5-8 files per 5 or so seconds.

This computer should be performing much faster than this since it has a 3.3 GHz 6 core processor and 8 GB of RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Good chance chkdisk ill find the issue, there may be some files that got botched during the repair.

Edited by OldPhil, 17 January 2015 - 05:38 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

I have been running disc check for over 4 hours currently on the system drive. It has been hung up on "11%, stage 5/5, 164311 of 361968 files processed" for over 2 hours.

-Edit 1/17 @ 7pm-

It has been 4 hours on the same file now at 7 pm CST.

-Edit 1/18 @ 9am-

Disk check finished this morning. Now Malwarebytes launches during startup and the computer loads a bit faster but it is still slower during startup and when loading programs than before the blue screen. I launched EaseUS Partition Master to do another scan on my hard drive and discovered that my system drive, which I swore was using a Master Boot Record, is now using GPT instead. I have a 4 TB drive that I have to use GPT on. According to Windows Action Center, it still is having issues opening files and needs disk check run again. I am starting an extended surface scan with WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics.

-Edit 1/18 @ 11:30am-

Both SMART test and Extended Surface Tests have failed. I installed HD Sentinel Pro and it immediately popped up that the system drive is at 2% health but at 100% performance. Looks like I need to replace the hard drive.

Edited by Falneth, 18 January 2015 - 12:34 PM.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users