Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Program?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DeadlySoul

DeadlySoul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi folks,

My uncle asked me to find a way to backup one of his folders whenever he plugs his USB. So I need a program to backup the specific folder (which is the "Documents" folder) whenever a specific destination device plugged in. A free program would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi Deadly :)

Do you know which USB your uncle have? Many USB flash drives comes with their own software that allows you to do a such thing, which makes it way easier than relying on a third-party program for that. If the program isn't present on the USB, we could always check on the manufacturer website to see if they offer one in free download so you can use it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

Just to note, although some USB drives come with software it is not often very useful. As a general rule from my personal experience the only software that is commonly pre-installed on USB drives is encryption software for securing files placed on them in some sort of "vault". In most cases it appears best to just delete all the files that came preinstalled on a USB as there are better encryption solutions available if that is the sort of software a user wants, and in the rare cases where a USB comes with other types of programs on it there are alos usually better solutions for the purposes they might fulfil.

To ask for more details on the issue you are asking about here, this software you are hoping to find, if it finds a duplicate file (something already on the USB but also in the documents folder) what would you wish it to do? Write over the USB copy with a copy from the PC( a bad idea incase the version on the pc had been corrupted since the stick was last inserted), Write the new copy alongside the one already there (which eats up space somewhat), Do nothing and leave the one on the USb as it is and not copy the new one to the USB either?

One other thought, there might be some utilities within windows (some versions of it) which already do this if you activate them, perhaps under the "file recovery" section in control panel.

Edited by rp88, 21 January 2015 - 05:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users