Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek Audio drops out while playing videos.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davidblaine

davidblaine

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Sorry if this is a duplicate but I couldn't find anything using the search bar.

I bought a second-hand scratch built computer and installed Win7pro on it.  The box was originally using XP.

There is  realtek HD audio here, and it's giving me fits.

Whenever I play videos the sound drops out in various places and for various lengths of time.  When I'm trying to watch an instructional video it really drives me crazy.

As far as I've noticed, playing music files does not cause this problem.  YouTube videos are what I'm primarily trying to play.

I'm not sure what you might need to help but I'll throw this all out here.

Win7Pro 32 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 processor running 2.93 ghz

4G ram, using 3.24g 

Using Comodo Antivirus

Has been a problem since day 1.  Not intermittent.

Please advise if I can provide more info that would help diagnose and/or troubleshoot.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

The quickest thing to do is to verify what version of audio driver you have and compare it to what is available. If necessary download the latest Realtek HD driver that is compatible with Windows 7 and see if that helps to improve things.

Edited by Lunathecat, 17 January 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 davidblaine

davidblaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Lunathecat! My computer told me the driver I had was the newest available, but it lied.  Looks like I have the xp driver, and there is a newer version for win7.  BUT.  The installer for the new driver deletes the old driver, then asks to reboot.  When the computer restarts, the installer starts installing the new driver.  That's great, right?  No, because first the windows operating system notices the missing driver and quickly reinstalls the old version instead.

I don't think there is any sense starting the process Hamlius describes if I don't have the right driver installed.  Is there a way to temporarily turn off the windows function that reinstalls the old driver?  

Thanks.

#5 davidblaine

davidblaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

OK, should have googled that last question before asking here. Found out how to kill the auto update, and so I have successfully installed the newer driver and the sound problem seems resolved.  I will stop back with a better report after I've used the computer for a day or so with no new incidents.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users