Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD causes nvidia graphic driver update failure 0x0000009f

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zenxyuan

zenxyuan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hi Fellas,

Appreciate all the help I can get. This has been bugging me a lot until i formatted my laptop AND THEN it happens again. This happen when I tried to update my nvidia graphic driver to the latest. It crashes before I can even update it and many many occasions..

File is in dropbox. Please tell me the root cause.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi5mkuv3e5csf4r/zenxyuan.rar?dl=0

Thank you in advance.

Edited by zenxyuan, 17 January 2015 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

File is in the attachment. Please tell me the root cause.

There isn't a attachment...  :smash:

Does this help you to solve the problem?

#3 zenxyuan

zenxyuan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

i made a link in dropbox. No that does not help, i need to find out the exact driver that is causing the problem.

Edited by zenxyuan, 17 January 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#4 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Can you tell me what driver you need?

You can find it using appmanager (not sure if I spelled correct).

Press Windowskey+R and enter: mmc devmgmt.msc

The stuff with an /!\ are outdated and need an update.

#5 zenxyuan

zenxyuan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I don't know what to look for, as I am looking for the driver that's causing the BSOD. The dump file is in dropbox link.

#6 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

Is it a laptop? If yes, does it give a BSOD in safe modus?
What is the exact model of the laptop, only if it is a laptop.

Can't find what driver you need in the Blue Screen of Dead Dumpfile.

Edited by M. de Jager, 17 January 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#7 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

Does this website help you; what links to here. Give it a try, it can help you. :)

#8 zenxyuan

zenxyuan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Yes it is a laptop. Its Asus N53S. It BSOD as well it safe mode. Here's what happen, it started even before I formatted my laptop.

You see I always hate this kind of laptop, especially with Asus, it is very redundant if you ask me. This is a so called mid range gaming laptop, it comes with both Intel and Nvidia graphics. I know their intention is to help us save power consumption by switching it to Intel integrated graphic when we're not gaming, but it causes issue where sometimes it is not using the nvidia graphic. Beats me why Asus came out with this stupid idea, most other gaming laptop brand have only one graphic processor, Alienware or MSI for example.

So here's what happen. Before i formatted, there are many times the nvidia graphic card stopped working and BSOD. On next reboot, the hardware stopped working, it disappears completely in the device manager. Yes, it is the latest driver. I tried roll back and removed all traces of the drivers completely using DDU and re-install the latest driver. Again, after a few minutes it crashes again, all traces of nvidia gone. It's like it doesn't exist in my laptop. So how do I make it appear again? I did the same, removed all the drivers related to it in safe mode using DDU. Switched back and forth the SATA settings from IDE and AHCI until it appears again. This is the only way. Every BSOD shows the same result:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe

Because the laptop is too dumb to figure out which driver or hardware went wrong, so it always blame it on the kernel driver. Lmao! 

So I'm out of idea, not sure what do to.

Edited by zenxyuan, 17 January 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#9 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

Nothing against Asus...

Can you try to (re-)install all drivers - graphic based - from here?

I can't tell you what driver you need because I can't find what driver exactly gives the problem.

#10 PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Unfortunatly, this is almost certainly a motherboard (hardware) problem, which cannot be fixed with any kind of software changes.

Chips on motherboards are soldered (welded) to the board using different kinds of solder technologies. One technology used is called QFP, Quad-Flat-Package, which is essentially just a square ship with pins sticking out along it's perimiter. These are all the chips you've seen your whole life.

Another technology is called BGA, which does not use pins, and instead uses solderballs underneath (along the area). BGA has many advantages over QFP, such as greater pin count, pin density, motherboard footprint, signal improvements, and so forth. BGA is used by your CPU socket, some CPU's, Northbridge chip, Shouthbridge chip, PCH chip, GPU (Graphics) chip. These chips are soldered to the board using hundreds (sometimes thousands) of tiny solder balls.

Unfortunatly, BGA has a big drawback. The pins (solder balls) are incredibly unreliable and prone to breaking, causing intermittant (or permanant) signal loss. As you use your laptop, your motherboard "breaths". As it heats up components on your motherboard expand, and as it cools down they shrink. These "thermal cycles" are incredibly stressful on BGA chips, and cause damage over time. This is why it's critical to keep your laptop cool, otherwise the thermal stress damages your motherboard early. The balls that soldered the chip to the board experience thermal stress and form cracks over time and these cracks disrupt the signal going through the solder ball.

BGA solder problems are the reason behind most laptop failures. They're the reason behind the HP dv6000, 9000 fiascos. They're the reason behind the xBox 360 RRoD and Ps3 YLOD. BGA is notorious for failure. Especially in GPU (Graphics) chips which tend to get very hot.

In your laptop, you have an internal graphics card (on your CPU) and an external graphics chip. Your laptop only uses one graphics source at a time, so it switches between the low-power Intel embedded graphics, and the high-power NVIDIA graphics chip you have. The switch is done automatically depending on the application being used.

So what's likely happening on your laptop is that your NVIDIA graphics chips has damaged solder balls for some vital signals, and is now experiencing problems. When you run an application on your laptop that requires external graphics, your laptop switches to your GPU and you begin experiencing problems.

One way to test this is to disable your GPU. Uninstall your GPU driver, and disable the card if possible (In windows or even in the bios). Your freezing crashing problems should go away, but you no longer have external NVIDIA graphics [ :(]

---------

What can you do?

1) Nothing. The problem won't fix itself and will only get worse over time. Be thankful you have intel graphics and hope that you can just use that forever.

2) Take your laptop to good repair shop in your area. They can do a reflow on your GPU chip and remelt the solder, fixing the connection. Very few shops (even the very good ones) have any idea how to properly do a reflow, so if you go this route do not pay more than $99 for the repair.

3) Reflow by yourself. Your laptop is fairly easy to dissasemble and from memory i think it only uses one or two types of screws. Disassemble and reflow the GPU by yourself. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet (Youtube) how to do this, but most of them are wrong and you'll probably end up just breaking your motherboard. However, it's fun [:)]

4) Order a new motherboard. Look on eBay/AlibabaExpress for your motherboard. Make sure you order the right one. You will probably pay ~$200 for your motherboard with shipping. Install it yourself to save money (being very careful) or go to a repair shop and pay them $50 to install it.

5) Buy a new laptop.

Any questions let me know [:)]

Edited by PcPhoenix, 18 January 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#11 zenxyuan

zenxyuan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

Thanks PcPhoenix for your lengthy explanation. I figured as much this is the most sensible, since reformatting can solve almost all software issues. It's definitely a hardware problem. Yes I am using the Intel GPU, it's so bad that I can no longer play my favourite games.

Too much work, i guess i'll just buy a new laptop, this time WITHOUT two graphic cards. Gosh! I'll look for something with a good airflow.

Any suggestion for a gaming laptop with good airflow? Alienware is overpriced, let's skip this being suggested haha.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

If you want suggestions for a new OEM system...please initiate a new topic at Buying New Computer .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users