Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't boot in any mode - aswRvt.sys problem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JFog

JFog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hi I seem to be stuck in some kind of cycle on my laptop.

It's Windows XP Home running on a Toshiba Equium.

I start up and the laptop goes into a screen telling me there's a problem, we apologize for the inconvenience etc and choose an option to start Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good Configuration etc.

All options to boot into Safe Mode / Last Configuration etc go to the Windows start up screen for about 30 seconds then straight back to "We apologize for the inconvenience ..... and the list of Safe Mode etc.

Choosing Safe Mode goes through a list of text which hangs at aswRvt.sys then goes back to "We apologize for the inconvenience ...."

To make matters worse, I never made a recovery disk or a back up of XP or anything useful like that ...

Can anyone help or am I looking at consigning old faithful to the cyber graveyard (hopefully not). It's a bit old and slow now, but solid and reliable .... a bit like me.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

Do you have another computer with XP and do you remember if you have System Restore Enabled. Do you have a computer with Windows 7?

#3 JFog

JFog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hi, thanks for getting back to me :)

I don't have anything else that runs XP.

I don't know if I have system restore enabled.

I've got access to a Windows 7 system (my sons computer). I also have a work laptop which I am using now, running Windows 8.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

Download Aoemi PE builder. Run the program which will create a bootable disk with Explorer.

This will at least let you copy any important files on the computer to a flash drive or external drive. After you have built the iso file you can burn it on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. The program also lets you create a bootable USB but I do not know if your XP computer can support booting from USB.

Boot the disk and follow the instructions in this post. You will be using the disk created by PE builder and not Parted Magic as I listed in the post. You want to copy the backed up registry hives that System Restore Creates. Hopefully the computer has it enabled.

#5 JFog

JFog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

I need to find a computer with a CD drive that I can burn a disk on, which may take me a couple of days.

I assume that when I run / open the PE builder file that I have downloaded (I cant open it on my work laptop as I don't have admin rights to do so, so need to wait for my son to be available to open it on his computer) it will create some kind of file I burn to a cd that I can then put in my xp laptop which will act as a boot disk?

I'll get back to you when I have found a cd drive and let you know how things are going.

#6 JFog

JFog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Interesting development ..... My xp laptop recognises a usb stick as a bootable device! No need to find a cd player. This makes life easier.

#7 PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Sounds like your problem is with aswRvt.sys, which sounds like some Avast driver? I couldn't find much info about it online, but it doesn't sound like a native windows component.

If you just stop it from loading, chances are everything will return to normal. First you'll need to find a way into your file system. Try Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with command prompt. Boot from another disk which gives you access (this is what JohnC told you to do).

Once you get that bootable disk working, do a search for that file on your windows drive (could be in C:/Windows/System32/drivers.exe, but you can do a "search" for it), and rename it to aswRVt.sys_old.

Edited by PcPhoenix, 18 January 2015 - 02:59 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

Yes, you will need admin rights to the program. In the link I provided it shows the screenshots of how the build goes. You have the option to create a bootable USB.

I thing that it may help is to download AutoRuns. Unzip the folder to the desktop you are building the PE on. In the screen that says Add Files in the lower left, click it and browse to the Autoruns folder. This will put the AutoRuns folder on the desktop of the screen when you boot the USB. If the System Restore does not work, we can use AutoRuns to load the registry offline. You probably are running 64bit so I am not sure if AutoRuns will run but it is worth a try. Using that we can disable the Avast drivers and services. 

AOEMI-Portable-installation1-600x422.jpg

#9 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:26 AM

Sounds like your problem is with aswRvt.sys, which sounds like some Avast driver? I couldn't find much info about it online, but it doesn't sound like a native windows component.

If you just stop it from loading, chances are everything will return to normal. First you'll need to find a way into your file system. Try Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with command prompt. Boot from another disk which gives you access (this is what JohnC told you to do).

Once you get that bootable disk working, do a search for that file on your windows drive (could be in C:/Windows/System32/drivers.exe, but you can do a "search" for it), and rename it to aswRVt.sys_old.

AswRvrt.sys is what I think it is. It is an Avast driver. It's what killed my system off. When I looked it up from another computer, there are a whole lot of issues with dead computers referencing that file as the one that won't load.

I got in with a MiniXP disc I got from a friend. No idea how, but aswRvrt.sys killed off a sector in my hard drive in the boot sector (if those terms are right).

All of my created files are there, just no way to boot normally. I had a Macrium Reflect image, once I got the recovery disc and got it to read, with a new 500GB hard drive, that's what I'm using now. I removed all mention of Avast from my system. Plugged the old hard drive in as slave, any newer files than date of image I transfer over.

I am very happy I got the external hard drive and imaged the system last summer.  I think a recovery disc from Macrium will get you in, as it has Windows PE, similar to MiniXP. It says there are some repair functions built in. Never tried, don't know for certain.

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2015 - 10:45 AM.
Fixed post - Hamluis.

#10 JFog

JFog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

I have finally managed to create a bootable disk with PE Builder. Thank-you for pointing me in the direction required JohnC21. I then went on to find the aswRVt.sys file as PcPhoenix suggested and renamed it. I then booted the laptop from the Hard Drive and it launched disk checker, which deleted and restored some files, then it went through to boot the system, and it worked.

It seems that the aswRVt file is bad. Everything appears to be working again.

Thanks to everyone who replied for the advice and help. It is much appreciated.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,682 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

Glad you got PE builder to work for you. I just found out about this software and am quite impressed with it. Thanks for the update.  And kudos to PCPhoenix on pointing out the renaming fix.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 February 2015 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users