Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

I was looking around for a mother board and came across two that seem to be pretty much the same model but
with a few differences

One of them is about 100 dollars and the other is about 150. As far as the differences the most that i noticed were that the more expesive one has more ports, two lan chipsets, and two pci express x16 slots.
expensive board

the cheaper one has less ports, one lan chipset, one pci express x16, and a pci express x4
cheaper board

I realize that obviously the cheaper board is going to come with less goodies. My question is since they appear to be the same board with the exception of the few mentioned things, do you think there would be a substantial drop in quality with the cheaper board?

Im on a budget and i could really use that fifty dollar difference elseware. I do want to get a good board now however so that it will last me a while, but i dont plan on running sli (so i dont really need two pci express x16 slots) and the only ports im loosing are a IEEE 1394 (firewire?) and the optical S/PDIF Out (i dont even know what that is).

Seeing as i dont really need any of the extras does it seem like the cheaper board might be a better buy for me? Im just worried about loseing quality.

Thanks for any and all help.

*last minute thought* This is probably a really dumb question but, just out of curiosity... the nicer board has TWO lan chipsets and two ports on the back. Why? Do you get a better or faster connection if you run through both at once? *confusion*

Thanks again.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

Firstly, I imagine the dual LAN connections allows you to be connected to both a cable internet connection and a LAN at the same time, so you don't need to swap any cables around. Maybe.... :thumbsup:

With 1394, it is a pretty common connection type so I imagine that the cheaper MB would have the appropriate connections if you needed to enable it a bit later on.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do - gaming? video editing? If you want to do mainly gaming, you may as well get the SLI, because you can always get the second GPU later on. Are you going to LAN parties? If not, then you wont need dual LAN chipsets.... I suppose. If you feel your needs may change in the future, $50 now is a lot better than another $150 in future, and then the effort to disconnect and reconnect everything.

Sorry if I wasn't much help :huh:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess maybe ill look in to spending the extra fifty. Ill have to see how it all pans out. Ill count on getting the nicer board but if i really NEED the money when i get around to building this ill get the cheaper one. Thanks for the help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

The first board is more expensive due mainly to its SLI capability. All SLI boards carry a hefty premium. If you don't plan on using dual SLI video cards then this feature is a waste of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users