Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can add HP6500 wireless printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:01 AM

We are staying with family for the week. They have an HP 6500 wireless printer that they are able to print to. For some reason, I cannot seem to add it as a printer to my XP laptop.

I printed the network configuration page. In the General Information section, it says that the URL is http://10.9.9.11. In the 802.11 Wireless section, it says that the IP Address is 10.0.0.11. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The default gateway is 10.0.0.1

So I start the Add Printer applet.

• I select "A network printer or a printer attached to another computer".
  • Next
  • I select "Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network.
  • I fill in the URL (above).
  • Next
  • I get an error message saying "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server".

I tried it with and without the http://.

What am I doing wrong?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the hardware section.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Worth a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/windows-cannot-connect-to-the-printer-either-the/95468211-5bf1-4777-8278-74c472e8bf45 .

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

If Louis' suggestion doesn't work for you, have you got the drivers for this printer installed on your computer ?  If you haven't, you should be able to download them from the HP web-site. It would be a good idea to download the quick install guide if there is one at the same time. Printers are notoriously fussy about the install sequence !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users