Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Powerline adapters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Navimaster

Navimaster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hi,

My friend lives in a two-story house.

He has always had his router downstairs. However, recently he has bought a new computer that he's planning on setting up in his room which is upstairs.

The WiFi signal is incredibly bad in his room and he's never had a computer there. We've been told that powerline adapters are the way to go if he doesn't want to directly connect via ethernet cable. (That would take some doing)

Apparently we're suppose to use his old router as an access point.

The thing is we don't know which powerline adapter kit to get. 

He currently has Verizon FiOS, 50mbps. Both the old and new router models are: Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

My question is: which powerline adapter kit do you guys recommend?

And can anyone instruct us with how to set it all up? We would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Edited by Navimaster, 17 January 2015 - 01:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:17 AM

I have this 1. and have no complaints.

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT 300Mbps AV500 WiFi POWERLINE RANGE EXTENDER STARTER KIT

http://youtu.be/qqjjFVxRI2Y

ps :welcome:  To BC

Edited by NickAu, 17 January 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#3 beagle72

beagle72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

I would caution against powerline networking, or at least buy the adapters from somewhere easy to return if necessary. Throughput over powerline can be very unpredictable and the link itself may drop and re-connect often. The adapters themselves are prone to shorting out over time. This is not to say powerline networking never works, but it can be unpredictable and impacted by many factors related to the power distribution in your house.

A powerful repeater may help, something like Amped Wireless repeater, placed midway between the lower floor router and the top floor office. Something to consider either before or after trying powerline networking. Obviously, ethernet connection to the upstairs office is the ideal solution here.

--

Confused about cables?

http://whatsthiscable.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users