Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system crash / image restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 maury?_

maury?_

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

had a complete system crash and had to use image restore.  now I have lost photos, documents, e-mail address in thunderbird etc.  dumby me did not have a back up disk.  is there a way to restore what I lost.  thanks for anyone's help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

There are lots of free, and paid, file recovery software apps out there.  Many folks use Recuvva by Piriform.  It is free.  The restoration of the system image probably overwrote some of your data files.  You should NOT install Recuvva, or any other file recovery software on the drive where the data did reside.  Installing it there will overwrite more clusters.  Load it from a USB drive and have another drive available to which any missing files that are found can be recovered to.  Do not recover to the drive with the missing files.

Do not install any new apps on the restored drive to avoid overwriting data clusters, possibly containing your missing files.  If Recuvva or whichever file recovery app you use does not find much, then you should consider engaging a professional data recovery service to recover your data, if it is that important.  I have heard that the prices are fairly steep.

Hope this helps and good luck!  Frequent backups are HIGHLY recommended.  Nothing "forgets" faster than a computer.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users