Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Search

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 garganof

garganof

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:11 PM

When I installed the free AVG antivirus software it made my IE go to it's search. I have uninstalled AVG and cannot get rid of it. I tried to make MSN my homepage but I cannot get around AVG. I went to add-ons but it does not show up there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crono72

Crono72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Go to tools internet options then click use default

#3 garganof

garganof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

It worked! Thank you sooooo much!!!!

#4 Crono72

Crono72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

Np glad to help

#5 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

The next time try to read everything and unchek unwanted stuff.

Edit: Maybe you like Unchecky, it uncheky the most unwanted stuff.

Edited by M. de Jager, 17 January 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search (created by the makers of AVG Anti-virus) are optional add-ons when installing their anti-virus product if you choose "Customized" install instead of "Express". Since most folks choose an Express install they usually are not aware these options are also being installed as they are pre-checked by default during installation. Some users have also reported that after AVG auto-updates, it will install the toolbar as a browser add-on without input from the user.

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are also commonly bundled as an option with other free software users may download and install. Many folks overlook that option since it is pre-checked by default and they unknowingly install it. For example, the toolbar is bundled with PDFCreator.

So even if you decline the option to use AVG Security Toolbar or AVG Secure Search when installing AVG anti-virus, you may still end up finding them on your system some point after an AVG update or by unknowingly downloading and installing another program where they have been bundled. This also explains how those who never used AVG anti-virus also sometimes find AVG Secure Search and the Security Toolbar installed. As noted by M. de Jager, be careful what you download and read everything during the installation.

BTW...Introducing Unchecky on RaMMicHaeL's Blog, indicates it is more for average users who are not careful about reading everything and accept all defaults when installing programs. The blog posting also indicates Unchecky is still a beta version.

I seldom recommend using beta versions of most programs since you never know what bugs or quirks might turn up... then you have to waste time researching and getting things straightened out. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Unlukygeek

Unlukygeek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

Crono72 will that work in trying to get rid of about:blank that keeps randomly substituting itself for my home page.  I have windows 7 Pro

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings is Microsoft's link for default settings solution.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users