Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

75 Processing Running

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

I have over 75 processing running in Task Manager, and my machine is really slow.  Am I infected?  Is someone else using my computer?  This seems like an awful lot of processes.

Estelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

Hope you are sitting down - I just opened my task manger and it shows that I have 94 processes running. I don't think that the 'really slow' is connected to just 74 processes. A infection is always possible - they are a mater of 'when' not 'if'. When you look at the Applications' tab of task manager are there any applications running that you didn't start or want running?

What is your security software, is it current and have you run any scans lately like this evening]?

Keep us posted

Dicki

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

FWIW:  The number of processes reflected in Task Manager...is just an indication of what you have allowed to be installed on your system.  There is no magical number that is good or bad, it's the processes themselves that need some scrutiny.

Since you raised the possibility of infection, moving topic to the appropriate forum.

Louis

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Expanding on the information already provided...It is not uncommon to have a numerous running processes showing in Windows Task Manager and utilzing various amounts of system resources. The actual number will vary from system to system depending on what programs are installed and have services associated with them, which ones are permitted to run at startup and what applications are currently running. Some browsers will also generate multiple processes by design as a form of crash control.Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (.dll's) and can run other services underneath itself. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task Manager in order to optimize the running of the various services.
  • svchost.exe SYSTEM
  • svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
  • svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The process identifier (PID) must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time. The PID is not static and can change with each logon but generally they stay nearly the same because they are always running services.

Windows Task Manager does not provide enough information. These are tools to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its location. Most of them are stand-alone portable apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users