Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Service Options OR Dial-up in 2015? Satellite internet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 turkishcoffee

turkishcoffee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Gonna try and keep this short. This is not strictly an ISP question but...

I live outside of Philadelphia in a place where Verizon took over our phone service (formerly Bell Atlantic) and Comcast took over our cable (Suburban). So I have a choice of actually-high-speed services that usually preform well.

Sadly, I have a friend in Nowhere, Iowa who is stuck with windstream. Google can tell you the horros of it but he's not exactly a tech person... I'm wondering what options there are to switch when you're stuck in a monopoly. His service is so bad that in addition to being slow it is now super spotty and kicks him off (Happy New Year!).

I'm wondering if slow-but-stable Dial-up or some Satellite internet may be an improvement He's paying about $50/mo for what is maybe 1mpbs when it wants to work at all. Maybe just adding the extra $7 for AOL for when windstream forgets him would be an option? Is it really better than nothing? How has satellite internet changed-- assuming it has-- since it was something for businesspeople in the 90's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Are you sure he's stuck ?

www.broadbandmap.gov/internet-service-providers/

#3 turkishcoffee

turkishcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

That does not list anyone at all for wired service.

The area you have selected does not contain a complete broadband record set. The system will only display available data (if any).

Are there any other services like that you can recommend that might have different data?

---

Edit: I've done some snooping and the website for http://www.prairieinet.net/ claims they offer at his address. He's in an online chat now (since the phone is off for the day). I'll report back with an update but if anyone can help my original post, please do!

Edited by turkishcoffee, 16 January 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:01 AM

Well, here is some offical sites to help you

1.  FCC.gov, here are maps, info and all other sorts of tools to help you http://www.fcc.gov/tools-data

2.  National Broadband Map, here you can input a address and see whos in your area... offically http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

(WARNING, updates are slow to this map, and just because a ISP has coverage in a area, DOES NOT mean they will provide service to your address, E.G. my area has Time Warner in it, I am in a major city, but my sub division has only 17 homes in it, and Time Warner does not provide internet to my area, but they do across the street... so its a help but nothing is Offical)

Overall, Stay away from Sat Internet unless there is nothing else.  Its only good enough for emails, and basic stuff.  Lots of drops.  I would get a 4G hot spot before I did Sat Internet, or up the current data plan on his phone and tether it to a computer.  I know XBL gamers that use hotspots and do just fine.

good luck

cz

Edited by czarboom, 02 March 2015 - 03:04 AM.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 Betty48

Betty48

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

How can i tether my smart phone to my netbook? And can my laptop/netbook use my phone internet to get online?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users