Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chromebooks and security ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

I teach computing as a volunteer to a mainly older age group. One of the group members was bought a Chromebook as a Christmas present by her husband and the question has arisen does it need security installing on it. So, two questions :-

1   Does a Chromebook need A/V on it ?

2  What A/V - preferably free - will run on a Chromebook ?

Due to my recent absence in foreign parts I have seen neither this member nor her new Chromebook, but i expect to do so next Tuesday, the 20th, and it would be nice to have some answers.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hi Chris welcome back, Hope you had a great time, Where are my souvenirs?

Does a Chromebook need A/V on it ?

No.

The Chrome book is based on Linux but is implemented in such a way that it is very hard to install anything that would compromise your device.

I shouldn’t say things like that, People will realise Chrome book is Linux and wont know how to use it all of a sudden. Yes folks if you are using Chrome Book you are using Linux.

However you still need Add Blocker PopUp Blocker, No Script installed on the browser.

How to Configure Firewall Settings in Chromebook?

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-2394870/configure-firewall-settings-chromebook.html

Edited by NickAu, 16 January 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Nick.

30 minutes research has established that the Chrome OS is fairly bullet proof, but the users aren't !  And given the cloud based nature of the Chrome OS phishing attacks become much more significant. A quick look at the usual suspects in the AV field shows that none of them appear to support the Chrome OS in any case. One thing I did find out is that it is surprisingly easy to install a full fat version of Linux on a Chromebook, alongside the Chrome OS.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

You are welcome Chris.

IMO

Always on ( Windows style ) Antivirus is a waste of time on Linux, What are they scanning for? Windows Viruses? If you want an AV use Clam AV its on demand and can be used to scan files and documents that you share with Windows PC's.

Yes you can install Ubuntu alongside it, Remember this is Linux and the only limit on things you can and can't do is usually one's ability’s or lack thereof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users