Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP reinstallation troubles with keyboard

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

I am trying to do a clean XP reinstallation on my mothers computer because it had a booting problem for a while now. I get pretty far into the installation till it gives me 3 options.
The options are-
1 To set up XP now, hit enter.
2 To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, hit R.
3 To quit setup without installing XP, hit F3.
I tried to hit enter and any other button on my keyboard but nothing happens. Note that my keyboard is a PS/2 Keyboard. Please give me any suggestions if you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Sounds strange but press every key on the keyboard. The BIOS may have remapped the enter key to something else. One person on a forum found that M worked instead of Enter. Other than that, do you have a USB keyboard available?

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Solved the keyboard problem by using an older one and said couldn't find Hard Drive so I tried to go inside the case and make sure its connected but I turn it on and now is this black screen of nothing. The monitor works but the screen is blank.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Can you get to the BIOS screen?

#5 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

No. I can't go anywhere the screen just goes blank as soon as a hit the power button.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

It can be caused by a bad CMOS battery.  You can try the following. Remove the power cord. Open the computer and remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery and powercord. Reboot. If that does not work, try replacing the battery. I had a laptop with a bad CMOS battery that refused to boot unless I power cycled the computer and finally fixed it by replacing the battery with a new one.

#7 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

I am moving the topic here and the desktop was working before this happened.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563453/black-screen-after-pressing-power-button/ Give me more answers on the link above.

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

Messing with the CMOS battery could be risky so I ask for more suggestions before I touch the CMOS battery and please post this on the new forum that I have on the link above.

#9 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Guys don't click on the link there because Queen-Evie closed the other topic so reply here.

#10 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Basically to put it in a way you understand I click the power button and lights flash while I here noise but I hear no beeps, the screen immediately goes black after touching the power button, all components have been connected to motherboard and it was working before I had this problem. Could it be that thr PC is very old because I am trying to repair an old grey P4 desktop that was bought on like around 2001 or 2002. The PC case was custom made by my local PC repair shop. It has a red motherboard in it which I can't identify the brand of. Also when I opened it up for the first time ever it was filled with so much dust in it. Basically no one has used that desktop for years now since like around 2007 or 2008. Please tell me if you could come up with a solution after reading my short story here.

#11 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

It can be caused by a bad CMOS battery.  You can try the following. Remove the power cord. Open the computer and remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery and powercord. Reboot. If that does not work, try replacing the battery. I had a laptop with a bad CMOS battery that refused to boot unless I power cycled the computer and finally fixed it by replacing the battery with a new one.

Are you sure that the CMO's battery could be causing this because I looked up what it does and it is supposed to keep track of the current time and date that is set on it. Could a CMOs battery also be enough to power a PC because that computer has not been used for years and the CMOs battery must have used up all its energy ever since it was placed there in like 2001 or 2002. I may look into replacing the CMOs battery with a new one. Would that solve my problem because I used to have a RAM problem with my Vostro 200 Vista I built like 3 month ago and I messed around with the CMOs battery not knowing how to correctly insert it insert it wrong and gives me the Morse code style beep but that Vostro was fixed months ago and now I plan to fix this old piece of junk.

#12 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:44 AM

Also the Vostro motherboard had to be replaced due to this and works now. Note that the Vostro is not the desktop I am trying to fix here but is the old grey custom case brand manufactures by the guy that works at my local PC repair shop and I still need suggestions on whether to get a replacement CMOs battery or not.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

There could be any number of reasons for your problem. Dust and the PSU included. If you have not replaced the CMOS battery since 2001 I would put a new one in. It is not that difficult. If you want to avoid the CMOS battery, try powercycling the computer first. Pull the power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Then try rebooting.

#14 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

There could be any number of reasons for your problem. Dust and the PSU included. If you have not replaced the CMOS battery since 2001 I would put a new one in. It is not that difficult. If you want to avoid the CMOS battery, try powercycling the computer first. Pull the power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Then try rebooting.

I could try that but do CMOs batteries still power the motherboard if the computer is unplugged because I heard it uses more energy when the PC is off. I could tell you if it works but if power cycling doesn't work then I'll try the CMOs battery. Also the case is very dusty and the PSU was placed there in like 2001 along with its other specs.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

The CMOS battery is usally a CR2032 button battery. Before changing it unplug the power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. That should discharge any electricity. You may have to use a sharp wooden stick to get the battery out of the plastic holder. I get it out with just a finger.

If you can take the computer outside I would blow out the dust with compressed air. Block the fans from turning when you clean the fans. Do not let them spin up. Also, do not use a vacuum cleaner as dust running through a plastic hose creates static electricity. Do not open the PSU case as you can easily get electricuted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

http://www.howtogeek.com/72716/how-to-thoroughly-clean-your-dirty-desktop-computer/

I would not remove any ram modules or cards as cleaning the computer could force dust into the slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users