Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get files from old hard drive to new computer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 amgesq

amgesq

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hello.  Last month, my 10yo plus Dell desktop computer finally died.  I turned it off one night and it wouldn’t start the next morning.  Discussions with Dell and attempts to restart it were unsuccessful, and it was suggested the problem was either the motherboard or the power supply.  So I bought a new computer.

The new computer is a HP Pavilion Slimline 400 tower, running Windows 8.1.  The OS on my old computer was Windows XP (I kept using XP even after Microsift stopped supporting it).  I have many files on the old hard drive (called HD1 herein) that I would like to have.  I wasn’t that concerned because I have a VoMagic Hard Drive Enclosure (purchased several years ago when I upgraded my hard drive so I could use my oldest hard drive (which I will call HD2) as an external drive).  I figured I would just put HD1 into the VoMagic enclosure, plug it into a USB port and get the files I need.

This did not work.  I got the following error messages. First: “You need to format the disk in drive D before you can use it.”  Second: “D:\ is not accessible.  The volume does not contain a recognized file system.  Please make sure that all the required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted”.  I did not format the hard drive.

I then tried the real old hard drive (HD2) in the VoMagic Enclosure to see if the problem was perhaps the compatibility of the enclosure with the new computer.  It worked fine.  Took the enclosure with HD1 to my local library so I could try it on one of their public computers, which run Windows 7.  Got the same error messages.

So I am stumped.  Did the hard drive get corrupted when it old computer died?  Is the problem the fact that the hard drive was runing XP?  (If so, I could probably get them as I still have the installlation disk for XP).  Is there some other problem?  And most importantly, how can I get the files that were on that hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.  Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

BCf techs: ?Could this be an issue: Win8 GPT/NTFS file-handling versus earlier Windows possible MBR/FAT32 file-handling? I'll watch this thread and learn, 'cause I have a couple of old HDs myself. I'm now w/Win7Pro.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Does the drive show as RAW in Disk Management when attached to the computer?

#4 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

Does the drive show as RAW in Disk Management when attached to the computer?

Yes it does.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

That is a problem. That means the file system and/or the partition table is broken. One thing to try is to download Parted Magic. Edit: provide wrong link to Parted Magic. This is the last free version, the latest version is $5. Burn the iso file. After booting to the desktop of Parted Magic attach the drive. See if the drive will mount. Sometimes linux is able to see a drive where WIndows fails. This is the easy solution if it works.  Here is a guide on using Parted Magic. If all goes well it will mount the drive to at least read only and you will be able to copy  your files. If it does not mount post back and we will use Parted Magic and Test Disk to see if we can get the files off the drive. A windows version of testdisk is also available which is easier to use.

One thing to note. In order to boot Parted Magic you will have to disable SecureBoot and possibly Fastboot in BIOS. It also may be required to enable Legacy boot or CSM boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Reclaime has a good reputation for reading RAW files. This appears to be a retail version, but there is a download. I am not sure if the trial version will work fully or not. You might search around for similar software, there must be more. You can also try distros such as UBCD, but whether they will read damaged partitions or not I am not sure.

http://www.reclaime.com/library/how-to-recover-raw-filesystem.aspx

Easus is highly regarded:
http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/disk-not-formatted.htm

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 January 2015 - 07:51 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Thanks to both JohnC_21 and ranchhand.  I looked at the parted magic guide.  I need to study it more closely; it may be beyond my computer skills.  I tried Reclaime.  The free, evaluation version identified all the files, but you can't actually save, i.e. recover, them without buying the full product for $80.00.  But at least it gives me hope that recovery may be possible.  Andy

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

Another option that may see the partitions is Partition Find and Mount. It will scan the drive and look for any partitions. It will mount the partiiton as a drive in order for you to copy any files.

http://findandmount.com/

Edit: There are three scan modes. You may need to do the thorough scan in order for Partition Find and Mount to detect the partitions. But start at Normal Scan first.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2015 - 08:20 PM.

#9 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

Find and Mount found 9 partitions.  However, I can't access the ones that have the files I need,  as I don't have permission, probably because the old hard drive had a password.  Will I have the same problem if I try Parted Magic?  Thanks  Andy

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

If you password protected the drive, that could be a problem. Are you talking about a password that is entered before Windows even boots? If that is the case I am surprised that Reclaime was able to see the files.  I am not sure if Parted Magic would even be able to recover the files even if it could mount the drive.

Before using Parted Magic Download Testdisk for Windows v6.14. Unzip it to a folder on the desktop. Run it and follow the guide here. Do not write anything. Do a quick search and see if it picks up the partition. THen press "P" to list any files. If it finds the files you can select the files/folders using the up/down arrow keys and pressing the ":" key. After selection press upper case "C" and the files/folders will be copied to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

If you cannot see the partitions doing Quick Search, use Deep Search.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I wonder if booting the pc with say Puppy Linux on CD  or USB wouldnt be easier for the OP?

#12 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

I was the only one using the old computer.  When I turned it on I got a login screen, I logged in as administrator and typed in a password;  then my XP desktop appeared.  When I used Find and Mount, I found the partition with the files I need but was denied permission to copy them.  Other files found when I ran Find and Mount were able to be copied;  of course none of these were ones I need.  There is a lot to read on the Litten website and I am going thu it.  It may be beyond my abilities.  A sincere thank you to all for the advice given so far and any more would be welcome.  I am not giving up yet.  Andy

Edited by amgesq, 17 January 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#13 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

Tried Testdisk, both the quick search and the deeper search.  Nothing found.  Andy

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

If testdisk did not find anything I doubt that Parted Magic would either. I am surprised testdisk did not find a partition where find and mount did. I think you may be better off purchasing the reclaimme software. I would inquire if you could get your money refunded if the files recovered were unreadable.

#15 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

An update for any who may be following this thread.  I asked Reclaime, and they emailed back saying I would be able to recover files even if password protected.  So I am going to go ahead and buy their standard license ($79.95) and give it a try.  I'll post again with the outcome.  Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users