Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

enabling the prtsc key on a toshibs laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malcom123

malcom123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

I have been trying to use the prtsc key to get a screen shot. However all it does is take me back to the start screen. The key has two options on it "END" & "PRTSC. It seems to be set on the "BACK" option.  How do i set it for lower case option "PRTSC.

Toshiba on line manual gives no clue. I suppose i need a Toshiba user to answer this question as no one on two other forums i have tried can give me an answer.

By the way i know i can get a screen shot via the snip tool but i do need to know how to activate all options of the toshiba keyboard. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

What is the model of your laptop.. do you have to press a function key in conjunction with the prtscr key to get it to work.  After pressing the key you need to ' paste ' it and save the image into a program like Paint.

See here for more help.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

Try either 'Fn' + 'PrtScr' or 'Alt' + 'PrtScr'. One of these combinations should work for you to copy the on-screen image to the clipboard and, as YeahBleeping has said, you then need to paste the image into some image editing software.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

I have a toshiba laptop and i think it will be the same for you as it is for me. To use the "prt scrn" (printscreen)you need to hit the "fn" key. the "fn" key will be down on the bottom left of the keyboard between the control and windows keys, with the "fn" key held down hit the "end" key which has written in grey text just below "prtsc". The same applies for the f keys(f1 to f12). If you want to save the image you've just captured you will need to open ms paint, paste the picture in and then save that.

This "fn" gave me a bit of a surprise when the laptop was brand new as before then i had only used desktops with full keyboards, so for the first few days i was as lost to find print screen as you currently are.

Edited by rp88, 17 January 2015 - 08:01 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

I have a toshiba laptop and i think it will be the same for you as it is for me. To use the "prt scrn" (printscreen)you need to hit the "fn" key. the "fn" key will be down on the bottom left of the keyboard between the control and windows keys, with the "fn" key held down hit the "end" key which has written in grey text just below "prtsc". The same applies for the f keys(f1 to f12). If you want to save the image you've just captured you will need to open ms paint, paste the picture in and then save that.

This "fn" gave me a bit of a surprise when the laptop was brand new as before then i had only used desktops with full keyboards, so for the first few days i was as lost to find print screen as you currently are.

Hi. Thank you for your reply I am glad to say I discovered the answer you describe. The reason I could not get it to work was because I was not holding down the FN and the windows key before pressing PRTSC. Regards to all replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users