Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marija_peg

marija_peg

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

After I disassembled and reassembled my laptop, I turned it on and there was no sound coming from the speakers. I thought I must have forgot to plug in the small speaker cord from underneath the motherboard, so I reassembled it again. I cannot say 100% that the cord was unplugged, because when I disassembled it again, I ripped the ribbon cable from the power board so I was distracted by that (the ribbon cable is sticky on one side and apparently it got loose and somehow it got mixed up with the DVD case, so when I pulled out the DVD case, it ripped the cable). After I was sure that the speaker cable was plugged in and after I replaced the ribbon cable, I reassembled it and there was still no sound.

When I open the device manager, I see a yellow exclamation mark next to Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus. I tried updating/installing it, but it says:

"windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

High Definition Audio Device

The system cannot find the file specified."

I went to the ASUS page and downloaded Realtek High Definition Audio, but again, no change.

Also, system sounds are OK, e.g. when there's an UAC notification.

Thanks for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

Did you uninstall all of the audio drivers before trying to install the new ones. If one of the files was unchanged by the update but corrupted or missing that could explain the problem.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. I did as you said, opened device manager, uninstalled Realtek from Microphone, Speakers and Sound, video and Game controllers and reinstalled Realtek, but it's the same. Realtek is recognized as a driver in all of the above mentioned except in audio device on high def audio bus.

Thank you for your reply. I did as you said, opened device manager, uninstalled Realtek from Microphone, Speakers and Sound, video and Game controllers and reinstalled Realtek, but it's the same. Realtek is recognized as a driver in all of the above mentioned except in audio device on high def audio bus.

Attached Files

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

My vote would be for a connection problem related to the audio module. A careful disassembly and a 'by the book' reassembly might be a wise next step.

I've repaired many a laptop and had to disassemble and reassemble some more then once to get them back into full working order.

Go slow and check three times before moving to the next step

Dick

Dick E

#5 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

But I'm positive that the small speaker cord is plugged in.. :( And everything else works just fine.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

So be it. I have no further suggestions or insight

Sorry

Dick

Dick E

#7 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I would just like to try other software solutions before I disassemble it again, since the last time I did it, I couldn't use my laptop for a while (while I got the new power board cable), so I wouldn't like to risk it. And I need my laptop now so I can live without sound for some time.

#8 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Somehow it started working! There's still a yellow exclamation point but I have sound! I disabled and uninstalled everything again and reinstalled it. The only sound I'm not hearing is when I press the volume icon on my taskbar and change it, but that's completely irrelevant, so all is good.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hi marija :)

Simple question, how did you install the drivers from the ASUS website? Via an .exe or .msi installer, or by choosing the installation path manually via the Device Manager? If you didn't do the latter, I suggest you to do so as it have better chances of working than using an .exe or .msi installer :) If you don't know how to do that, let me know and I'll help you. Also, is it possible for you to give me your computer/laptop brand and model and exact version of Windows?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users