Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimum running temps.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jfsjr61

jfsjr61

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:51 AM

I am new to the technical part of PC's, can someone tell me what a good CPU temp. should be? Or a general area? Also the same concerning the MBO. When I go into BIOS to explore I see a CPU, and a MBO temp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

Hello .

This depends on several things from component, to maker, to the type of computer it is fitted in.

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<= Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

From your link we can trace many components and the current running temps .........

Thank You -

#3 jfsjr61

jfsjr61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

I did not want the add-ons that I had to get in order to get the Speccy program, nor did I want to spend $20.00 so I researched and made this:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4330 3.50 GHz 4MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX w/ GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 2 PCI, 6x SATA 6Gb/s
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1GB GDDR3 PCIe x16 Video Card
HARDDRIVE: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD 
         : 128gb SanDisk SDSSDP1ACA100 ATA
OPTICALDRIVES: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive 
AUDIO: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card
FAN: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans

I hope this helps.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oz7PxUx7O2lVnIrisguxYpL

Above is a "typical" Speccy from the Free program, with no Add Ons. We tend to use this every day for a guide.

It should show the operating system, with current operating temperatures already listed .........

Since all components must work together, this is the better of the quick Free program types, and no extras need to be accepted.

From this there is a much better readout in a less complicated form.

Thanks -

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

According to the specs listed here -

http://ark.intel.com/products/77769/Intel-Core-i3-4330-Processor-4M-Cache-3_50-GHz

the maximum case temperature for this processor is given as 66.8C. Note that this is the case temperature, not the junction (the actual piece of silicon inside it) temperature which will be higher.

The CPU should only approach - not reach - this temperature when you are working the computer flat out, typically playing advanced games. You mention temperature readings in BIOS. The problem with this is that you usually only see the BIOS when you start the computer up which is not long enough for any part of the computer to reach normal operating temperatures.

I am not sure what the problem you had with Speccy was, it is a really useful and simple application available as a free download from the download section of BC. You could also try 'Speedfan' - a popular monitoring program -  which is available here -

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

In general, in light use - browsing, word processing type work - I would expect your processor to run at about 30C, rising to perhaps 50 - 55C when playing games. For your mobo, the temperature you will see depends on where the temperature sensor is situated but anywhere between about 20 and 40C would be acceptable.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users