Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro, Partition questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ExplodingMonkey

ExplodingMonkey

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:15 AM

Hello gentlemen. I'm trying to figure out what a couple of small partitions are on my secondary HD.
I want to reclaim them I guess, but I'm not sure how to do so.
I wrote the questions right on the screenshot. Here it is

esbtQ8X.jpg

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

Did the secondary drive have a OS on it before? You have a 101MB unallocated partition at the beginning. EXT4 is a linux file system. If this is a basic data disk and nothing else like a NAS box  I would do the following steps. Remember, any partition manipulation can go wrong so you should back up any important data that you cannot afford to lose.

Because the drive has roughly 300GB of data, the operation will take awhile. All steps are done virtually. When all steps are done click apply and partition wizard will do each step.

Click the D: partition and select Move/Resize. Drag the partition to the far left. This will place the 101MB ahead of D:

Click on the EXT4 partition and select delete. Only delete if you know you will not need it. From your image, there is data on the EXT4 partition. This can only be read using a live linux CD. You should boot a linux distro and see what data in on the EXT4 partition before you delete it. If you decide to keep it, move it to the far right (end of drive) by clicking it and selecting Move/Resize. Click on the partition bar and left click drag the partition to the far right. This will give you 101MB + 16GB of unallocatted space after D; which you have moved to the far left (beginning of drive) and before the EXT4 partition

After EXT4 is deleted you will now have 101MB+31.8GB+16GB of total unallocated space showing after D: 101MB + 16GB total if you decided not to delete EXT4.

Click D: and select Move/Resize. Click the right arrow of the partition and drag it to the far right untill it can go no farther, either until it reaches EXT4 if you decided not to delete it or the end of the drive if you did delete EXT4.

Click Apply

If you have any question please post back. Again, allows backup any important data before partition movement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users