Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 not formatting a new hard drive on brand new build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grammaton485

Grammaton485

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

Hello,

The last two times I've posted here were regarding some personal PC issues, but now this problem extends to a friend.

A friend and I just finished building a gaming PC for him. Part list is located here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L9TN99

A little background on this build...the BIOS on the motherboard was incompatible with his CPU, so we put the CPU from my rig into his, installed the OS onto the Samsung SSD, then updated the BIOS. When we put the 4790k back into his PC, it booted just fine (albeit for an SSD, it was very slow, which is a separate issue)...

To my knowledge, Windows 8.1 installed correctly. No errors in the installation process, no errors during the BIOS flash, it runs just fine (aside from the slow boot). The SSD is listed as the C drive and has all the capabilities of a normal hard drive. The entire OS is on there. I have the same Samsung running Windows 7, boots up in about 5-6 seconds. I also have the same Seagate HDD, and had no problems turning it into a single partition and formatting it (again, on Windows 7).

On his PC, the Seagate is recognized under the device manager, and it shows up in the disk management interface. It can't be used, of course, because it's not formatted. It also shows up in the sata ports in the BIOS. However, the Seagate HDD will not format through the disk management interface. The memory partition is healthy, and the capacity seems to be correct, but every attempt to format NTFS will simply error out with 'the drive cannot be formatted' or something. At first, after doing some troubleshooting, we checked the BIOS and only his SSD and optical drive were showing up in the ports. So I had him switch to a different sata port, and now it is showing up in the BIOS as well. However, it will still not format.

His BIOS time is around 10 seconds on start up, whereas mine on my laptop with no SSD is around 6. And it runs more start up processes with a slightly older CPU.

I've exhausted all my knowledge, and I'm beginnign to wonder if the drive is broken, or if the sata cable is bad. What else could be preventing a new HDD formatting? Is there a chance we screwed something up in the BIOS? All of our attempts to format the HDD were using the 'quick format' option. Later attempts were without this, but it would run for an absurdely long time with nothing apparently happening.

He's going to check out a PC repair place tomorrow, and hopefully get an HDD diagnostic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

In his bios setup screen there should be an option to ' load performace defaults'

Did you install the motherboard drivers after windows 8?

If you think it could be the cable .. Try a different one?  Make sure you didnt connect his sata drive to any RAID connector on the motherboard.  It should be put in SATA 1

#3 Grammaton485

Grammaton485
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

In his bios setup screen there should be an option to ' load performace defaults'

Did you install the motherboard drivers after windows 8?

If you think it could be the cable .. Try a different one?  Make sure you didnt connect his sata drive to any RAID connector on the motherboard.  It should be put in SATA 1

I will have him try performance defaults tonigt.

The motherboard drivers (ie, the chipset, the BIOS, LAN, and some audio) were installed after Windows 8.

Also, I don't think his SSD is in Sata 1, but I'm not sure. Why would this impact boot?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Okay lets check out your system and event viewer to get an idea of what we are facing here.  Maybe we can find the culprit in the event logs.

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

~Yeah

#5 Grammaton485

Grammaton485
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Well, all's well that ends well. He got the drive to format last night. Part of the issue was that we were trying to do 'quick format' which is what all the tutorials were showing us to do. A PC shop recommended trying to do a regular format, which took forever, but it worked. The slow boot on Windows 8 also seemed to be limited to restarts; which we were doing a lot of, but not actual full shut downs and start ups. It boots faster off of a cold start than a restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users