Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Info/how to regarding activation file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

I have Windows Vista that I bought and have a key for, and is already activated.  I would like to keep a copy ready on a second hard drive (not a second machine) in case something goes wrong with it, which it has before, so I can just swap them.  Often, I do not have internet access.  Is there a file that stores the activation that I can copy or replace on the second drive so that I do not have to activate it on the 2nd install?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

Are you familiar with disk cloning software? There are many free and paid products available that will make a complete image of your first drive to either an image file or the second drive itself, so you wouldn't have to install and activate Windows a second time.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Disk Imaging allows you to take a complete snapshot (image) of your hard disk. The image is an exact, byte-by-byte copy of an entire hard drive (partition or logical disk) which can be used to restore your system at a later time to the exact same state the system was when you imaged the disk or partition. Essentially, it will restore the computer to the state it was in when the image was made. You will then have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates and patches from Microsoft. Disk imaging is useful for system recovery in case of a hard disk disaster or malware resistent to disinfection. To learn more about how this process works, please refer to:Disk Imaging & Backup Software:Free alternatives include:Note: If you have Western Digital hard disks, then you can download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,619 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

Disk Imaging is the way to go but if you want to store the activation and key of your computer Advanced Token Manager can do it. The backup is stored in the folder you uzipped the utility to.

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

Thanks, for all the options.   I'll  have fun trying some of these.  I have tried quite a few before posting, some not on your list, but didn't do exactly what I wanted, but I'll try the rest.

Thanks, for Advanced Token Manager....it looks exactly what I was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users