Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macromedia Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 listening

listening

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

When on the web, I sometimes get the following message from Macromedia Flash Player:
Potential unsafe operation:
MAD:\\A709C5E4-7A6F-4990-B71E-F32739473555\default.html is trying to communicate with this internet location:
Bannerfarm.Ace.Advertising.com
Click Settings to let this application communicate.

Since I have no idea what this is all about I just click OK and go no further. Does anyone know how I should handle this? Is it safe to click Settings and allow this communication? Thanks!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

Are you sure this message is coming from Flashplayer and not your firewall?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 listening

listening
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yes it is from Macromedia Flash & not from my Fire Wall.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:48 PM

It's a security feature in Macromedia's flash player.
If you click the settings button instead of ok you get a trust location box. Sort of along the same lines as IE's trusted sites function.
More here.

#5 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:56 AM

My goodness! Isn't is obvious what is going on here? A game or other application requiring Macromedia Flash Player runs script files to tell your computer what to download and display. Viruses and adware also use script files to infect your computer and corrupt files. If you really have to ask the question "Is Bannerfarm.Ace.Advertising.com a safe thing to allow to connect to my computer?" then your computer is probably so eaten up with viruses and spyware that it's a wonder you can still access any site without locking up. What do you THINK "Bannerfarm Advertising" is? I don't know what, if any anti-virus or firewall program you have running, but that message is very similar to a Firewall warning. If you have Windows XP, there is a built-in Firewall and script-blocker in SP1 and later. By all means, if a pop-up message comes up and asks to allow something to your computer that you don't absolutely know for sure if it is a valid, safe program that you are specifically connecting to....DO NOT CLICK OK! If you do have an anti-virus program running, learn what those official warning messages look like, and know the difference between them and the fake look-alike messages. If your anti-virus program keeps flashing a screen telling you that you have a virus, it may be asking for an input from you, such as clean it, delete it, quarantine it...etc. It may be telling you to perform a system scan or update your virus definitions. Read it first before you click it off.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:37 AM

In this case pc-details, you're supposed to click OK which causes the attempted operation to fail. :thumbsup:
The only way it can get through is if you click the settings button and allow permission.

#7 listening

listening
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thanks to all that have tried to help me on this issue. PC Details, I am a very cautious computer user and do not just click anywhere or download irresponsibly. By clicking the OK button, it will not let the operation go through. By clicking the Settings button, it will go through. Of course I realized that this Banner Farm Ace Advertising was somehow out of order here. I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it. Thanks again. P.S. I have a great Virus Protector & Fire Wall: PC Cillin 2006 Security Suite.

Edited by listening, 26 June 2006 - 12:40 PM.

#8 listening

listening
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Thanks to all that have tried to help me on this issue. To PC Details, I am a very cautious computer user and do not just click anywhere or download irrisponsibly. By clicking the OK button, it will not let the operation go through. By clicking the Settings button, it will go through. Of course I realized that this Banner Farm Ace Advertising was somehow out of order here. I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it. Thanks again. P.S. I have a great Virus Protector & Fire Wall: PC Cillin 2006 Security Suite.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

well, i would agree with pc-details, although, lol, i may have worded it differently. he is correct. this is why people have a ton of infections in their puters. so, i would run adaware, spybot, prevx1 , or ewidos, go to and download cleanup>>>>
http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/download.html
there. this dumps, user/IE/windows temps and cache. also, personally, i would remove all my bad active x controls and BHO's. if you are not sure which to dump..spybot has a utility under "advanced", and tools. there you can see what spybot thinks is good, anf not so good. although you cant see the damaged files unless you go check them in under internet explorer>tools>internet options>general>settings>view objects.

hope we helped you somehow. lol
Dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#10 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

btw...PC-cillin is a very good firewall/anti-virus suite. I have it too. Assuming you have it activated, this security suite will stop all internet activity when it detects a malicious script or other attempt to access your PC unless you have it specified as Exempt. However, there is also a Windows/Internet Explorer security setting in Internet Options that restricts initializing and downloading of ActiveX script files and controls; either from third parties or those not marked as safe. The choices for various scenarios are Enable, Disable and Prompt. What you are describing sounds like it could be the prompt from Windows. The settings can be changed with the 'Custom' option; or you can move that site to the Trusted zone. You COULD be telling Windows OK, but PC-cillin won't allow it. If you do change your IE settings, they may not take effect until you close that browser window and reopen it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users