Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Size" of files help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky82

Rocky82

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Back in the good old win98SE days n such, when looking through files like ..music (mp3's) for instance.. I always look at my files using the 'details'  view..I just happened to like it the best.. Anyway back in those days when I had a list of mp3's it would show me the size on the right of the screen..I know all you users here are very computer savy but just incase im not explaining myself the best I can, ill give an example.. ( I'd open my music folder in windows explorer on the left was all my music and song names and on the right would be the size 3206KB)...

I MISS THAT! And have no clue how to mass fix the problem without having to spend 7 years going through every folder to add 'size' to the upper tab. That was so convient to me for some reason to have the size tab on all folders idk why..

Anyhow I know in WIN7 you can right click on the top and add 'size' to the folder and its files but the problem is, I'd have to do it with EVERY folder and subfolder.. My Mp3's and music files/folders alone would take all day let alone the rest of the computer... Isn't there a way to command win7 to use the size tab for all folders/subfolders and files?

Im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Thanks in advance guys and God bless :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

I'm guessing your Change View dropdown option is set to List? Choosing Details displays the filesize on my system.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Rocky82

Rocky82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

No it's set to details.. I've always favored 'details' it's one of the first thing I do after a fresh install of an OS... I also am an avid fan of "classic windows' theme/look with third party programs to help out.  That COULD have something to do with it.. I try to make EVERYTHING look as though it was win98.. Same with the control panel I prefer classic view..

I'm sick of microsoft coming out with every new OS having all this eyecandy that isnt neccesary using up needed resources. Anyway the program I was referring to earlier is a program I installed called "Classic Shell" by IvySoft. To try and imitate Win98 the best way I can.. I'm the kind of guy that still uses windows media classic lol ..It gets the job done without all the BS.. Anyway like I said I could add size to the upper tabs of every folder if I wanted to but it would take way too long I was hoping for a mass change if you know what I mean

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

Try changing one folder to display filesize, then click Organize, choose Folder and search options, and on the View tab press the Apply to Folders button.

#5 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

Hi

Windows 7 by default shows Name, Date Modified, Type and Size in details view.

Try right clicking the Name column and see if size is checked in the column details menu.

If you are not seeing these columns, possibly there are corruptions in the registry.

To resolve this, please visit the following link...
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15692-folder-view-settings-reset-all-default.html

Download & execute the Windows_7_Reset_All_Folders_To_Default_Folder_Views.bat

Restart your system.

This will restore default folder settings for all folders.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#6 Rocky82

Rocky82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

To old rocker,

Yes the 'size' option IS there AND clicked on.. And it works for like root drives and maybe root type folders but its the SUB folders and most all sub folders and folders in general where it's available to turn on manually but id have to check each 'size tab' for sooo many folders...It's weird I never noticed that SOME drive roots actually had the size there by default..cool.. But in WIN98 it didn't matter if you made a new folder or anything the 'size' would always be there...It could be my fault since I have 3rd party 'classic windows look' program..I miss the old WIN98 explorer (1 click explansions of folders on the left side etc,)  ..IDK I'm 27 maybe its nostalgia..   E:\Music   and 30 subfolders IN IT is just the tip of the iceburg... Either way I'm about to leave and don't have time to try your idea or platypus' yet I'll get back to you.. Thanks a lot for trying to help me!!

#7 Rocky82

Rocky82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

AWESOME platypus your idea worked perfectly I did it to one folder and then applied to all and it worked... All files now have size in their respected postion.. I wanted to try platypus idea first old rocker because I didnt want to reset all the settings I had worked up too..yes im that lazy lol..So basically my problem is completely fixed all files/songs etc have size there...Now if I wanna nitpick.. theres the weird thing now FOLDERS themselves arent showing 'size'

For instance E:\music and its mp3's that are inside, now show every songs size..GREAT..BUT.. The music folder itself HAS the size tab there but its not displaying anything.. In my music folder I haVE 100's of songs averaging 4000KB, but backspace out of that to see just the music folder itself without opening it doesnt show anything.. It SHOULD show size 14GB or 14000000KB or whatever.. You know what I mean?..Hard to expain unless I take a screenshot..

But simply put all files now show size but the folders not clicked on yet that HAVE those individual files in them doesnt show.. And the 'size' tab is on and everything it's just not showing any data.. If I didnt explain well enough I'll try again..But as far as I'm concerned you guys fixed me right up so THANK YOU!! :)

Heck if I wanna know the sum total of music data usage in my music folder i could just right click the music folder and goto properties.. But I just like having instant knowlege of how much data is being used and where at all times..

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

Good result!

The facility to display folder size in the explorer window was removed from the Windows API in Vista. With the escalation of storage capacity, calculating the total for potentially thousands of files could cause lags in the display of the GUI. Instead, the value is calculated in the background, and appears on the tooltip if you hover the mouse pointer over the folder. You may notice the delay before a value becomes available on the tooltip - less irritating seen there occasionally than constantly delayed on the main window.

Edited by Platypus, 17 January 2015 - 04:05 AM.

#9 Rocky82

Rocky82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:24 AM

Thanks platypus you seem to have many years of computer experience and knowledge.. I totally understand what you mean when you said  "calculating the total for potentially thousands of files could cause lags in the display of the GUI".. Todays tech just keeps getting better.. With these newer SSD drives the lag would be negligible.. Me personally, can't trust microsoft half the time.. I had win95 at first, skipped vanilla WIN98 until SE came out, DEF not WIN2000 I skipped that and waited for XP (one of the best if not the best) Wouldn't touch VISTA.. Then Win7 came out.. It's what Vista shoulda been.. I LOVE 7 and have grown accustom to it. 8 was a disatster and im too scared to even try it..even there wannabe update to 8.1...IDK man.. I think I'm gonna stick with WIN7 64 for a LONG time.. I dont need all these gadgets and eye candy. I would like to have the CHOICE and options to change all that you know? 

Seems microsoft listens to $ more than the $ givers...

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

Microsoft actually engaged in extensive usability workshops developing the Windows UI, features were strongly influenced by studies of how real world users reacted to the way variants of the UI worked. So if 50 test users liked a snappy feeling GUI and 3 hoped for more information on the screen, guess what happened?

Another thing that influenced the GUI was the merging of the previous two streams of Windows design. Win 9x was home user oriented, NT/2000 was business oriented, and each could be tweaked accordingly. With XP and moving through to Vista, the same design was used for both, and a few major feature sets differed between, say, XP Home and XP Professional, rather than specific user adaptations.

Further, Vista added more multimedia capabilities to Windows, and that added quite a bit of demand on resources, especially as 64 bit computing was fairly slow to take off. Having large numbers of options in the GUI, which must be kept track of and rendered in real time screen updates, is also demanding on resources. So strategic culling of less valued options helps limit the overheads.

I think much the same as you with Windows 7, I find it the most polished OS since XP SP3, and I expect to be using it through to its end of support. Windows 8 seems to me to be similar to the difficulty Microsoft had bringing XP/Vista to the point of being all things to all people after having 9x/2000. XP had trouble integrating 64 bit devices, Vista was flaky coping with multimedia. Windows 8 has had a similar challenge straddling burgeoning device categories with a single OS design - smartphones, netbooks/laptops, through to desktop workstations.

Edited by Platypus, 17 January 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#11 Rocky82

Rocky82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

Sorry to bump, but I completely agree with you there...Vista for me had way to many bugs..Not sure how it behaved after service packs because I never tried it. I'd believe ya if you said it turned out ok :) Also remember FAT32 and then having NTSF becoming mainstream...That was also 'the thing' back in the 2000 to XP days.

Yeah I guess I'm old school.. Smart phones are smart phones and personal computers are another thing altogether. I hope the next OS is more orientated to a user like myself.. I swear though I read people didn't like 8 so much because it was like an iphone that they had to come out with 8.1.. So right there I'm thinking the majority of the people think like I do..

I didn't know microsoft had extensive tests with realworld people and if the 50 like a snappy UI and 3 dont then yeah, I hear ya.. I never knew microsoft cared enough for that.. You gave brownie points to Microsoft there :)..... LOL I'm that guy that complains about MS but uses their 'everything' 24/7 haha..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users