Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Says my WLAN is off, and I can't get it back on.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JanetAlabamafan

JanetAlabamafan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Somehow, my laptop says the WLAN is disabled, and I can't figure out what happened, nor how to get it back on. Please help !!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2015 - 09:32 PM.
moved from Introductions to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JanetAlabamafan

JanetAlabamafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Even though I have a valid connection, and it did work, now, it says it can't connect to the internet. Help !!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2015 - 09:30 PM.
this post was originally a separate topic which was merged into this one.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Did you possibly hit the wireless button or key combination to turn wireless off?

#4 JanetAlabamafan

JanetAlabamafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

It is a Compac Presario.

#5 JanetAlabamafan

JanetAlabamafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

I don't think so. When I changed internet providers, it worked for 3 days, when it didn't before ??? Now, it says it cannot connect, and the WLAN is off.

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

Kindly please tell more about your machine and the internet setup.
The interesting details are like your machine model , windows version, network type (wired or wireless), adapter model, how do you connect it to internet, security software used etc
[br]
What do you observe when you issue 'ipconfig /all' in a command prompt on the machine? Please post back that result after removing PII if any.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 JanetAlabamafan

JanetAlabamafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

Compact Presario. Windows 7, wireless.

#8 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

Hi JanetAlabamafan,
Please check your Windows 'device manager' (type the quoted words after pressing start and click on first entry) to see the network adapter section.
There it'll list out all network adapters connected to your machine. Since from your reply, its a wireless adapter, right click on the wireless adapter there (since your replies are partial, I couldnt figure out which one by the name) and click uninstall to uninstall driver. Then reboot/restart and check if it helps.
Have you had any recent changes to your machine (other than the ISP) before the issue occured ? Like updates, threat infection or removal, windows restore etc?
Do you have tried installing updated drivers for the network adapter?
You can find your laptop model usually on a sticker on the bottom cover, near to the windows7 genuine label.
Please feel free to answer to the queries (including pending ones).They in no way breach your security. I/we dont have any remote access to your machine/laptop, so it depends on your response too.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 15 January 2015 - 10:24 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

Compact Presario. Windows 7, wireless.

What is the model number of your Presario?

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

Connect wired not wirelessly to your router.  See if you can access that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users