Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover lost data

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 morfrei

morfrei

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

my HDD just went AWOL and I lost (maybe not yet completely) all the data. The chkdsk or something has run when my laptop (Lenovo SL-510) started and HDD was in enclosure but it hasn't repaired the HDD properly. There were a lot of NTFS errors in Event Viewer - the PC didn't want to sleep last night and was waking up repeatedly so it shut it down properly. When laptop was turned on chkdsk has checked it. After login to Windows the HDD asked to be formated (cancelled the request). HDD Scan shows only one SMART warning, WinDlg from WD doesn't report anything wrong - but when I click on properties there is incorrect size info - maybe it means something or it is just a bug...

I moved HDD into my PC. When starting PC Windows 8.1 crashed from unknown reasons - at first it noticed there was something wrong with added HDD, then some chkdsk was run on it and then it somehow damaged my OS on my SSD preventing me to enter OS. WTF. So I, being fool, tried the sexy option "Refresh Windows" in a Windows Recovery Options I was offered. After that I was able to enter Win, but my programs was completely gone, but that's another story. Then I tried to check disk from properties-tools-check menu. It reported to me there were some errors and I was informed they were fixed.

Then I have run a Puran File Recovery. It detected 2 partitions - one with only a several recovered (probably by chkdsk) files and second with plenty of recoverable files in a good condition. How should I proceed now to recover as much as data as possible. Directory structure is important to me too.

There are also two *.chk files in the new partition...

Help much appreciated :-].

The question relates with this question

Edited by morfrei, 15 January 2015 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Running chkdsk on a badly corrupted file system can make things worse. the CHK files are partial files that chkdsk recovered during the scan. You may be able to get some of the files back using the software here.

I don't know if you can get your directory structure back but I would use Easeus Data Recovery to scan the drive. It will give you an option to recover 1GB of data. If that is successful you can purchase a serial to recover the rest.

Other options: If the drive is connected to your Windows 8 computer you could use Test Disk for Windows v6.14 to scan the drive and recover any files to the hard drive on your computer. You would download and unzip Testdisk to a folder on your desktop and run it. Any files recovered would default to the folder. See this guide. Do not write any partition table. You main concern now is to get your data back. Once the data is recovered then we may be able to write a new partition table to get the directory structure back.

If the partitions can be mounted, you may have luck with Partition Find and Mount. It will scan the drive for partitions and let you mount them as a drive letter to retrieve your files.

Whichever method you use, never write data back to the HDD you are recovering from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users