Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is running Very slowly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shakeable_drip

Shakeable_drip

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hello!

My name is Justin and Thank You for your time in reading this.

O.k. Windows 7 64, Amd Athlon II X2 220 Processor 2.8GHz, 12 Gigs ram, current with latest updates with a Nvidia G card also current. With Microsoft Security Essentials for protection.

My problem: My computer is running VERY slowly and often my applications are Hanging as Unresponsive for about 10 to 15 seconds almost about every 3 to five minuets.

How and when did this occur: Yesterday morning when I booted up my computer everything seemed fine for about 5 mins then it sagged down in speed, taking around 4 mins just to switch between applications or tabs or windows.

The first thing I noticed as this started to happen was an error flag in my tool bar about something possible wrong with my hard drive and graphics card, the error flag did not have much information or steps to take

The only step I have taken so far after discovering my computer is suffering from something other then a virus http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563243/system-slowed-to-a-crawl/ is physically cleaning my computer which helped a bunch but Im still having issues just to a lesser degree.

Ill be following the guide located here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/ until I have another direction to move in.

I'm concerned that something may be physically damaged in my computer from possibly over heating.

Justin

***Update***

Ive run CHKDSK and sfc/scannow from CMD, CHKDSK had no errors or bad sectors but sfc /scannow throws the error "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

***Update***

Just ran Tweeking Computer's all in one Reg fix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

This fixed somethings and my computer is running a lil better But seeing as how I backed everything up before using this tool at this point I'm just gonna reformat 8{ I gave it my best effort.

Edited by Shakeable_drip, 15 January 2015 - 08:07 PM.
Moved to Internal Hardware from Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hello, 

Thank you for your the detailed description of your problem.
Indeed this sounds like a hard drive issue, and while CHKDSK can fix bad sectors they can quickly build up again if the HDD is on it's way out. Can you name the brand of your HDD ? It is a good idea to run a hard drive check utility that your manufacturer provides to give you an idea of it's health status. If there are problems and the drive doesn't pass the test/tests - formatting would be either a temporary or not a solution at all. Either way - give it a try, but if you plan to keep any important data on such a device it would be risky.

And also keep in mind thet the culprit of the problem may still be somewhere else - hardware conflicts, background programs that take increse CPU and RAM usage, or overheating of processor or graphics card. 

Hopefuly your problem will be resolved soon, best regards, Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 16 January 2015 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users