Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

!HELP! Black screen after loading Win. 8.1, nothing works. !HELP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thebutteredpotato

thebutteredpotato

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

A few days ago I was using my computer perfectly normally when I started up a game. If it matters, the game that I was playing was "Rust." I have a decent computer with a Radeon 7870 graphics card and can run pretty much every game fine on high settings. All of a sudden, the game got extremely laggy and random chunk of green purple, red, and more started flashing around the screen. It was completely random and I can't think of any specific action that may have triggered it. Navigating my way through the "fog" of the randomly colored pixels, I ALT TABBED and restarted my computer. I turned it back on, Windows 8.1 is loading, and right when it's supposed to hit the login screen, nothing happens. It goes black. Nothing works.

Important information:

- I don't have a disc.

- Windows 8.1.

- I overclocked my graphics card, Radeon 7870, a week or two before this happened. I'm wondering if this caused all this.

- I can't revert back to a previous state (in the advanced options area when the computer starts up) because it gives me an error and says there was a problem.

- Nothing happens on the black screen. It's completely unresponsive. CTRL + ALT + DELETE doesn't do anything.

PLEASE HELP?! I've looked far and wide all over the internet and I just can't find anything that helps. I've also been trying to figure out a way to un-overclock my graphics card and set it back to default settings, but that seems impossible as well. Any information that you can provide would help me greatly, and I thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

From your description of the your problem and the timeline, it may be that you have 'cooked' your graphics card.

The simplest way to test this is to try your computer without the video card - using the on-board video if your computer has this is simplest -  or by substituting another known good card for the Radeon that is in your computer at the moment. Since you are only interested in a substitution test, almost any video card will do. If you don't have one you may be able to borrow one off a friend.

If your computer starts working with a different video source then you can be fairly sure your Radeon is a late Radeon. If of course you still have no video when you try this post back and include details such as make and model on your computer.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 thebutteredpotato

thebutteredpotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

From your description of the your problem and the timeline, it may be that you have 'cooked' your graphics card.

The simplest way to test this is to try your computer without the video card - using the on-board video if your computer has this is simplest -  or by substituting another known good card for the Radeon that is in your computer at the moment. Since you are only interested in a substitution test, almost any video card will do. If you don't have one you may be able to borrow one off a friend.

If your computer starts working with a different video source then you can be fairly sure your Radeon is a late Radeon. If of course you still have no video when you try this post back and include details such as make and model on your computer.

Chris Cosgrove

Extremely late reply, so sorry for that, but I just have a question. If I remove my graphics card from my computer (hardware, not software), will my computer automatically switch over to using the on-board card, or will I have to manually set it to use that somehow? I don't want to remove the card and then my computer just doesn't use any graphics card at all, lol.

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

It should automatically switch to the onboard GPU when the PCI-e graphics card is removed.

Some motherboards have an option to configure them to use the add-on GPU or nothing, but the default is usually priority PCI-e, then onboard.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 thebutteredpotato

thebutteredpotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

It should automatically switch to the onboard GPU when the PCI-e graphics card is removed.

Some motherboards have an option to configure them to use the add-on GPU or nothing, but the default is usually priority PCI-e, then onboard.

Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users