Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quietening a Matrix Printer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

Hi, I recently acquired a Panasonic dot-matrix printer (I'm very stuck in my ways when it comes to technology). The printer advertises itself as "Quiet", though when printing can be heard several rooms away with the doors closed. I'm aware matrix printers are generally loud, however, when I pull the paper tight as it comes out, the unit can barely be heard whilst printing. This makes me think there's a specific way of loading it or an add-on? Or do I just have to pull the paper tight whilst it prints? The issue seems to be the sound reverberates through the paper whilst it prints.

It's a Panasonic KX-2023: as you can imagine there's not much help on Panasonic's website as the unit is from around 1991, although I have managed to find a manual for it, but it mainly tells you how to load tractor-feed paper rather than single A4 sheets.

Has anyone had experience with one of these before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

The only thing I can think of is to purchase an an acoustical enclosure made for dot matrix printers but those are expensive. I had a dot-matrix printer, an old Espon FX-80+. Built like a tank but oh so loud. I know you like the Dot matrix printer but I would seriously look at getting a cheap inkjet or laser printer depending on how much printing you do. You can get cheap mono laser printers on sale for about $50 or $60.

Is the printer quiet if you only feed two sheets tied together?

#3 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

I don't do so much printing, I just kind of bought it because I've sort of always wanted one, and the prices are steadily increasing on eBay since they're getting rarer. Plus the ink ribbons are like £6 each vs £30 for inkjet cartridges. I just didn't realize quite how how loud it was! I'll try putting more sheets in in the morning, as it's getting late and I'm not keen on irratating my neighbor at this hour. I'll also try placing it upon foam pads or newspapers as well which should limit vibrations and hopefully have a similar effect to that acoustical enclousure :D

Thankyou for the help!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

I know, inkjet cartridges are expensive. That is why I researched the printer first and got one where I could refill the cartridges myself.  Good luck. I think the foam rubber idea is a good one. You may be able to fashion a DIY enclosure made of wood lined with Foam Rubber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users