Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Zipping question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frayed Knotss Phila.

Frayed Knotss Phila.

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

I have a VERY old version of WINRAR and an equally ancient version of WINZIP (I think its 8.1!) and I need something to do a ONE-TIME zip up of some records to put on a DVD.  The combined files are 46.8GB and I could go to two DVD's but was wondering if I could find a free (it IS a one-time thing, after all, and I'm retired) program which would do this all onto one DVD.

Just a philosophical thing... two DVD's are not gonna kill me and I don't grudge the time, but the question still remains: Is there something that might ZIP things to one DVD?  (The last time I tried it all-at-once, I got a 4.75GB compressed file.)

Well... (Hi, Broni!)  I'll crawl back in my own little hole and see if anyone trips the triggerwire.

Edited by Frayed Knotss Phila., 15 January 2015 - 12:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

You can try using Winrar and then under options select solid archive. I would also put in a recovery record but this will add a little to the archive size. It that does not work, I would just go for two DVD's. It's just my preference but I would rather have two DVD's than one maxed out.

There is a freeware archiver called 7-zip. This archiver can create an archive smaller than Winrar but you have to use the 7z protocol and maximum compression to achieve the results.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 January 2015 - 01:31 PM.

#3 Frayed Knotss Phila.

Frayed Knotss Phila.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

Took your advice and decided to go for two DVD's usig 7-ZIP.  Interesting problem:  I was making the first archive (about 22GB out of the 45 total) on a 2-TB external drive and the program choked about 20 minutes into the compression, telling me that "the disk appears to be full", or something like that.  I find that NVFL (Not Very Likely) and was wondering if you might have an idea what's happening?  WIN7-32, full RAM, 450GB HDD, 2TB USB drive, (2) 500GB USB external drives.

I'm confused.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

I have never heard of that problem. 7zip may make a temp file for use during compression but I can't see why it would run out of space.  The 2TB drive isn't formatted FAT32 is it? I would think it is formatted NTFS. FAT 32 has a 4GB limit on files. That is the only thing I can think of.  Have you tried it with Winrar. Even though you have an old version it should still work.

I have used 7zip without a problem.  I have not used the following archiver but it is also free to use. Peazip

#5 Frayed Knotss Phila.

Frayed Knotss Phila.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

4GB limit!  Of course!  The 2TB external IS formatted in FAT32 (altho I can't imagine why...) from the factory.   I compromised: I went and got a $30 64GB thumbdrive and put the files on there and just mailed it to the poor buggar.  It's spinelss and doesn;t address or solve the problem of why I couldn't get the ZIP thing to work, but I'm 70 and I just ain't got the time to futz with it.

I am a firm adherent to the "bigger hammer" school of technology:  "Cut to fit, File to match, Paint to hide."

Edited by Frayed Knotss Phila., 18 January 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

If you can backup the data off the 2TB drive you can delete the current partition and create it again with a NTFS format. Let me know if you want to do this.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

I don't know if you're still looking for a powerful archiving tool Frayed, but whenever this question was asked on other forums I was on, a lot of people would recommend KGB Archiver as the most powerful archiving program there is. Apparently, it's discontinued and not updated anymore, people some people think that it's still better than WinRAR, 7Zip, WinZip, etc. in term of compression size. Maybe it's worth giving it a try and see how it goes?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users