Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How easy is it to switch modems?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

Presently have a LINKSYS wireless modem..I think it is model 2100. It has ran ok, for about 5 years....lately it seems to drop signals while I am on the internet. Stop/start,etc...real buggy. I want to update to a newer Linksys/Cisco modem...model AC1900. Looks like it has a lot of plus to it. I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops running on my present system. Can I just switch the wires from the old modem to the new modem and be ok? Just curious if there is some sort of deep learning curve when replacing a modem with passwords,etc. and going to a new modem ( same manufacturer). I sent emails to Linksys/cisco...never replied in 2 weeks. Ideas? Suggestions????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

I noticed in one of your previous posts reference to Comcast. Is Comcast your internet provider?

(edited to include the word NOT).
If so, that modem is NOT an approved modem for Comcast.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ is the approved modem list. Check the box next to Only Retail Devices for modems you can purchase.

IF you have Comcast digital voice (phone service) you will need to make sure you get a modem for voice. You will also need to find out if your local area allows customers to use a customer owned voice modem.

Having said that, it is very easy to switch modems.

Turn off your computer. If you have a router, power down the router. (if you get a gateway device, modem/router combo) remove the router completely.

Make all the connections to the modem, to the computer and the router if you will continue using a router.

Plug the modem in to the power source, let the light synch.

After synching, do the same with the router. When the lights all come on, turn on your computer.

Connect to the internet. If you get the walled garden page you will have to follow the steps to activate the modem.

NOTE: you will need your Comcast account number to do this online. You will also need the MAC address of the modem. There should be a sticker with that on the modem.

IF ONLINE ACTIVATION DOES NOT WORK you will have to call Comcast, internet option, to get it activated.

If you go with a combo gateway and want to use wireless, you will have to set up your network and secure it with a password.

For an ethernet connection (line from modem to computer) you don't have to do anything with passwords.

edit to add: if you have voice service there are no retail modems listed for purchase. I don't recall which one used to be available to buy but if you need the information I can find out for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Please note that I had to edit my post above because I left out a VERY IMPORTANT WORD in my second sentence.

In a malware log you previously posted I noticed this entry in your installed programs
Constant Guard Protection Suite

bold mine:

Beginning in January 2015...will no longer be supported and managed by Comcast. We are pleased to offer you similar great features and functionality through the comprehensive Norton™ Security Suite, which is available to all Xfinity Internet customers at no additional cost. Should you prefer to do so, you will still be able to use your existing services through White Sky™, an experienced technology company, at no additional cost

Continue using your existing CGPS/CGm services through White Sky™
•You don't need to do anything. Your current product will work without any modification and your software will be automatically updated and rebranded as "Fast Connect."

http://constantguard.comcast.net/cgps-alert

White Sky developed CSPS for Comcast. White Sky then developed Fast Connect, which they offer free to anyone.

Your CGPS should have automatically updated to Fast Connect.

What I suggest is that since CGPS is no longer supported by Comcast install it.

If you see Fast Connect listed in Add Remove programs uninstall ASAP.

If it is not listed then for future reference if you contemplate installing Fast Connect (this is the canned speech I use in the Comcast help forum)

Fast Connect bills itself as a "security" program.

A reputable security program would not bombard you with ads popping up in the taskbar asking if your computer is slow..

It would not install adware. It will not hijack your browser search.

Fast Connect installs Visual Shopper which is adware.

There is no opt out to prevent your browser search from being hijacked.

The pop ups will show in the right side of the bottom task bar.

Concerning the Computer Slow? pop up you will eventually see and be given a chance to scan for "problems":

If you choose to scan iolo scanner will be installed.

After the scan results will be listed. In order "fix" you are told you have to purchase System Mechanic by iolo.

iolo is a purveyor of "scareware". They want you run the scan, panic when you see the results and purchase System Mechanic, which to me and others is nothing more than snake oil. The "problems" are not anything that should cause concern.

Anything System Mechanic can do can also be done by using built in Windows tools or other REPUTABLE 3rd party programs.

Of course, it is up to you whether or not to use Fast Connect. I am simply telling you what the Fast Connect folks do not say about it so you will have the facts and make an informed decision on whether or not to continue using it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2015 - 06:38 PM.
edited to fix quote tag

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

jake21, on 15 Jan 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

I want to update to a newer Linksys/Cisco modem...model AC1900.

One more thing:

I looked up the model you mentioned after I made the previous replies. Is this it?

If it is, that is not a modem.  That is a router only, to be used with a separate modem.

The Linksys  DPC2100  is a modem. You need to replace this with a modem, not a router. 

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

I'll put on my Dunce cap now......OOPS.....what I want to install is a wireless router. I changed my modem a couple of months ago, seems Comcast sent me an email, that the MODEM I was using, will not be supported/compatible with Comast. So....I went to the link Comcast gave me and purchased a new modem that was on the approved list of modems. ..an ARRIS SURFBOARD.  Received the modem, switched wires from old to new Modem...guess what...no work. I called Comcast...they sent a tech out, he had to " qualify" the modem, enter the serial number,etc. It came online instantly. Seems you just can't buy a modem and plug it in...Mr. Comcast has to "register" your modem on your account,etc......COST $50! Ouch...all that just to register the modem they told me to buy?  ANYWAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's the wireless router I am wanting to change..NOT modem.

All the model numbers above are for Wireless router,etc. Would you instructions apply  to ROUTER too...see any changes, now that I did a better job of explaining. Thanks for your thoughtfull reply....This is what happens when you got too many candles on the birthday cake.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

For future reference you can get a new modem activated yourself as I described above.

It's been a while since I had to replace a router and I can't recall if I shut down the computer and power cycled the modem. The only thing I remember is that in July 2011 I had to replace my router after a Comcast tech installed a new service and the router died at that particular time. It had been on the verge of quitting and I kept putting off getting a new one so I know the tech did not do anything to the router.

Whichever way you want to do it applies here. Or if not, someone else can tell you. The instructions for the router might also tell you what you need to do.

You will have to set up your network and password protect it when you do install the new router.

I am very familiar with too many candles on the birthday cake. (In approximately 2 1/2 weeks another candle will be added to my cake)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2015 - 06:49 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

*sigh* I always think of something else after I hit post for a reply.

What is the model number of your Arris modem?

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

The new router just needs to be plugged into a PC alone and set up. Mostly change the default log in info, add wireless security, give the wireless a SSID, and plug it into your modem. Unplug everything and starting with the modem plug it all back in, waiting for the lights to settle on each before plugging in the next.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Thank you CaveDweller for the providing the information I could not recall.

#10 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Thanks...got some great advice...here I go!!!

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

After you get everything set up, post back to tell us it was success and easier than you thought it would be.

I still want to know the model number of your Arris modem.

#12 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Model SB 6121

Will be awhile, I have to order the Router..but will post back when I get done. Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users