Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan possibly bad?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

Hi all,

Yesterday & today both (during my daily power-up from a non-sleep state) my BIOS halted during POST citing a "CPU fan error"...

I went into CMOS to investigate. The fan speed seemed to be OK. I also checked the CPU temp & it showed ok. The CPU temp is warmer than I'd like it, hovering around 109/111 deg. F.

Yesterday, I thought maybe this was just a false error. But today, I got the same error, so I wanted to verify that the fan was working.  So, I took the side cover off and verified that it is spinning.  I was both relieved & puzzled.

Why would this happen?  My system's been booting flawlessly for well over a year & I boot it almost every day.

A link to my system specs:

Edited by PieLam, 15 January 2015 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Speccy link does not work, post system specs.  Desk top or lap top, may just need a cleaning dust bunnies will cause this issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

[quote
OldPhil, on 15 Jan 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:
Speccy link does not work, post system specs. [/quote] 

I'm not disputing you, Phil, but when I clicked on the link, it worked, so what's the deal?

Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-4170: 55 °F
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 722MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942): 92 °F
Graphics
HL269DPB (1280x960@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc): 83 °F
Hard Drives
112GB Corsair Force 3 SSD SATA Disk Device (SSD)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EZEX-00RKKA0 SATA Disk Device (SATA): 78 °F
1397GB Seagate ST315003 41AS SATA Disk Device (SATA): 87 °F
Optical Drives
ASUS BW-12B1ST SATA CdRom Device
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-L890SA SATA CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 9/25/2012 1:20:33 PM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Firewall: Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured
Windows Defender
Windows Defender: Disabled
Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials
Antivirus: Enabled
Company Name: Microsoft
Product Version: 4.6.305.0
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Desk top or lap top, may just need a cleaning dust bunnies will cause this issue. 

When I looked, I didn't see a big dust build-up...  Is there a specific place I should look?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

When your computer boots up POST gets a signal from the cpu fan telling its current speed.  If it is lower than a certain threshold than it could very well mean that your cpu fan is on its way out.

Why take any chances, you can blow the fan out with some compressed air but sometimes this does more damage than good; especially if the fan is already having trouble.  I suspect this is the stock cpu/heatsink/fan that came with the processor.  You may want to think about an aftermarket Heatsink/fan to replace your current one.  If you don't feel techy or your not comfortable with replacing heatsink fan and thermalpaste.  You may want to take it to someone who is.  Although its not difficult to do and theres plenty of how to's .. I'd rather you not ruin your cpu trying fiddling with things. :thumbsup:

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

YeahBleeping, on 15 Jan 2015 - 7:45 PM, said:
... it could very well mean that your cpu fan is on its way out.

That's what I was afraid of... :(

Why take any chances

That's exactly how I feel about it!   :)

you can blow the fan out with some compressed air

Remembering the price of a can of compressed air, I may as well add a little more $ & get a new fan, preferably one that will last more than 2 years!   :)

I suspect this is the stock cpu/heatsink/fan that came with the processor.  

Although I did use the stock fan/heatsink in a less heat generating CPU (a Sempron 2.8 Ghz), my main PC hais a much larger one. 

For example, it uses a 120mm fan.  If I remember correctly, it's an Arctic Cool cooler that I bought seperately. Upon receiving it (I'd ordered it from newegg.com), I was absolutely shocked at just how huge this thing is!  I didn't even think about it not fitting in my case (luckily, it did, but barely)!   :)

I've always built my own systems in the past.  I'd started building my own PCs as early as the 80386 era & progressed from there.  My last Intel CPU was the Pentium II 733 Mhz.  I've had AMDs ever since.  I'm still pro Intel, but I usually end up opting for AMD. Mainly because of the price difference.

Thanx so much for all the good info!   :)

I'm mostly old-school.  Things have really changed a lot in the past few years.  IE: before the 80486, PCs didn't even have heatsinks!  Hard to beleive!   :)

PS
Today, I didn't get the POST error!  (Further indicating, to me, that the CPU fan is on its way out.)

Edited by PieLam, 16 January 2015 - 11:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users