Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I factory reset my Dell laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KingYoshi

KingYoshi

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hello, I already have my important docs and files saved to external storage devices, so I am trying to reset my laptop to factory settings. The problem is, my F8 and F11 keys do NOT work. As in, they are no longer functional. I have several keys on my laptop that do not work due to several incidents over the years and unfrtunately, these two are part of that group. It is a Dell Inspiron E1705. I also do not hav the original discs that came with the laptop. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

If the hard drive has a Recovery Partition in Disk Managment you may be able to get it to boot using the bootable version of Partition Wizard and setting the Recovery Partition as Active. You need to burn the iso file with either Imgburn or Isoburner. Reboot the computer and the Recovery Partition may boot but sometimes this workaround does not work. When you set the Recovery Partition as Active make sure your System Partition is not also set to Active. If this does not work in order to get the computer to boot back to XP change your System Partition to Active.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

The best I can suggest is try an external keyboard or consider installing a Linux distro such as Ubuntu which is free.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,750 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

IMO before you reload the system buy a new key board, they are quite easy to change.  There are a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube to guide you.  Working with a malfunctioning key board may cause issues!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users