Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How dangerous is Windows 95?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi,

I've a new system (don't talk about the specs), I'm going to install Windows 95 on it just to get infections, but I got some questions.

How safe is Windows 95, without any AV/Firewall, connected to the internet?

How long takes it to get some infections, and how can I get them?

Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Viruses are no good man but I could help you out with your situation. First of all Windows 95 is no longer safe because Microsoft discontinued it like around 10 years ago. That makes your PC more vulnerable to viruses and there are some ways that could easily infect your PC. One way is that hackers could hack your internet to install malicious software on it. Another way to do it is to download a lot of torrents from sites such as thepiratebay.se. One of the easiest ways to infect the PC with viruses is by doing it through a batch file. First you will need to open notepad to do this.
Here are some of the most dangerous viruses that you could make through Notepad.

Tell me if the computer gets so infected that you can't use it anymore.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2015 - 11:13 PM.
link deleted. see my post below

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hi there MdJ... I like doing these sort of experiments also :thumbup2:

How safe is Windows 95, without any AV/Firewall, connected to the internet?

Not very safe at all. There are bots constantly scouring the internet looking for vulnerable machines... There's a good chance you could get infected just by plugging the machine into a router.

How long takes it to get some infections, and how can I get them?

It could take seconds or days, depending on what you are doing with the machine... You can always search for "malware samples" and deliberately add your own custom selection of malware to your computer.

Or you can just download and install the top 10 free apps from www.download.com, with default settings. (guaranteed malware free :wink: )... That will soon render your pc unusable.

edit: here's a fun article about installing cnet downloads

Edited by TsVk!, 15 January 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

Bleeping Computer is in the Malware Removal business and we do not encourage our members to go looking for malware. However if you are still interested the best suggestion we can make is what has been said previously by Grinler our site owner:

Warez and crack sites are a good source and should only be used from a virtual machine. That's the best information and most specific information we can provide.

The link in the post by POKEGAMERZ contained dangerous scripts which could be seen and used by those up to no good.
Bleeping Computer does not allow these types of links. Therefore the link was deleted from his post.

I only hope that in the few hours it was visible that someone who wants to use it for nefarious purposes did not see it. If they are determined they will find the information on their own. We do not need to nor do we want to hand it to them on a platter.

As a reminder when you joined Bleeping Computer you agreed to abide by the Terms of Use even if you did not read them.

This applies in this case

When you create or make available a Contribution, you represent and warrant that you:

E) Content Restrictions.

vii. will not post or submit Contributions that constitute, contain, install or attempt to install or promote spyware, malware or other computer code, whether on our or others’ computers or equipment, designated to enable you or others to gather information about or monitor the on-line or other activities of another party;

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 January 2015 - 01:07 AM.
one comment was made twice. deleted one of them

#5 M. de Jager

M. de Jager
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

@TsVk! - Thank you for the information, will give that a try! :) - Sounds fun! :)

@Queen-Evie - That's right, BC is a website to help and not to get malware, I will get a look on it, and yes it will not run on my own system, but I like it to test things. :)

Thanks both! Will keep you up-to-date!

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:28 AM

Not too long ago, I used Windows 95/98/98SE in that order, and managed with multi-level defenses to keep out everything but annoying-ware.  Moved to Windows 7.  So far, multi-level defenses holding against viri & malware.  Like BC brass here said -- best to not tempt fate.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 January 2015 - 07:32 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

Any computer operating without firewall and AV can be assumed to be vulnerable, but since Win9x is a different codebase to the NT stream ascendant for the last 15 years, I'd be interested to know how much malware propagating in the wild now can actually run on and infect Win9x.

Edited by Platypus, 16 January 2015 - 07:32 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 M. de Jager

M. de Jager
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Cool! :)

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Any computer operating without firewall and AV can be assumed to be vulnerable, but since Win9x is a different codebase to the NT stream ascendant for the last 15 years, I'd be interested to know how much malware propagating in the wild now can actually run on and infect Win9x.

me too :)

#10 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Honestly, the computer would be extremely vulnerable, but since it is on a different codebase, most malware gives "illegal operation". If KernelEx is installed, then the computer may be more vulnerable.

#11 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

Hope this isn't off topic but remember when bonzi buddy came out... And it had that purple gorilla that kept asking to change your homepage to bonzi .com and installed adware and a lot of junk on your system. Those types of things made you want to chuck your computer out the window and never look back...

they call me te java mayster

#12 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

XD I remember watching a video about that.

#13 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

It was a pain :P

they call me te java mayster

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

It is good you have several HD's, if things get bogiling you can toss the offending one!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#15 enemyofthestate

enemyofthestate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

win 95 has the guest account enabled, i used to hack peoples systems in the old days  win 95 is vulnerable, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users