Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to diagnose error on HDD enclosure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 morfrei

morfrei

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

I have an HDD enclosure  and sometimes (4 months ago and yesterday) I got series of NTFS errors in Windows(Win 7 64b) Event Viewer. In the enclosure I have had 3TB WD Red Hdd . No information about these errors has been shown to me so I wasn't aware about it. Then when trying to get my notebook sleep it was waking up with no obvious reason so I shut it down. Then when I turned it on again my laptop (Lenovo SL-510), HDD in enclosure reported it needs to be formated (4 months ago and yesterday - the same). In the time of the first incident I had the enclosure connected via SATA and yesterday with USB, the result was the same. How could I test if the enclosure is faulty or is it HDD error. SMART reports only one warning:

199 UltraDMA CRC Errors 200 194 0000000000-00E1 000

Help much appreciated. :-]

This question relates to this question.

Edited by morfrei, 15 January 2015 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hello, and Welcome

If the enclosure has a USB bridge card and the USB port is not soldered directly to the HDD PCB you can pull the drive and attach it to another computer directly or by using a USB adapter. Use Seatools for Windows to do a diagnostic test on the drive. Does the drive show as RAW in Disk Management? If it does then that would indicate file system corruption and or a bad partition table.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 January 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#3 morfrei

morfrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Why Seatools - it is WD - would it work? I have a data I am trying to recover, are the tests save or are they writing something to HDD?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,863 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Seatools for Windows will work on all drives but if you have a WD use their own diagnostic utility. Test is safe as they only read the drive. Do the short generic test first. You do not want to stress the drive with the long test.

Does the drive show as RAW in Disk Management?

GsmartControl is another diagnostic that will work with all drives.

CRC errors are usually do to a communication problem between the HDD controller and the SATA controller. For your situation it may be a bad cable.

#5 morfrei

morfrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

I know CRC errors are often caused by bad cable - that was why I have changed the cable from eSata to USB but still the problem occurred again after 4 months again. In the interim there are only rather rare Errors/Warnings about controller errors and FS corruption. Could be bad a cable inside the casing?

No the drive doesn't show as raw as the automatic chkdsk run "fixed" it...

Btw. only SMART diag/report, which I have already done is secure. During other tests in WD Diag program writes are occurring and in help is recommended to backup the drive before performing them...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,863 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

There is no cable in the external encloure. It either has a USB bridge card that the SATA drive attaches to or the USB port is soldered to the HDD PCB which WD is know to do on their enclosures. They also use proprietary bridge cards that encrypt the data. You cannot remove the drive and place it in another enclosure.

http://tidelog.kitamuracomputers.net/2013/05/31/recovering-data-from-wd-elements-drive-when-the-usb-connector-is-broken/

http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

#7 morfrei

morfrei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

There is no cable in the external encloure.

Wrong

...WD is know to do on their enclosures. They also use proprietary bridge cards that encrypt the data. You cannot remove the drive and place it in another enclosure.

I have Akasa enclosure not an external HDD...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,863 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Okay, that was my mistake. Thanks for those links. I was thinking OEM external HDD's. I would try replacing the SATA cable. If that does not work then I would say it's a controller problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2015 - 09:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users