Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help/computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miguelj

miguelj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

My computer is only 3 months old but last week it started to act up. I was using the computer for games and the internet for more than 2 months and it was working perfectly fine until last week. When I turned on the computer, I heared multiple beeps each about 4 or 5 seconds long. I don't know how many times it beeped but I stopped counting after 10 beeps. I reattached all the cables including the plug for the video card and I started the computer and it worked. Later that day, the computer just shutdown as if there was a brown-out. I started the computer and it said the keyboard cannot be found so I connected it properly and restarted it and it worked. After a day while I was playing a computer game, a "blue screen of death" appeared and it said "bad pool header." It only happened once and for about three days my computer was working fine.

But 5 days ago, the computer again produced the multiple beeping sound and no matter how many times I start it, it's the same. I gave up on using the computer that morning and then I tried it again in the afternoon. I started it and the beeping was gone. I can only hear the fans and no POST. I restarted it a couple of times and nothing happened. After a day, I started it and it worked fine. I'm able to use my computer since then but every night, when I start it, I again get the multiple beeps and it would only work after a couple of restarting in the morning. I also occasionally get the "out of range" message when I start a game but it works fine again after restarting.

Can someone please help me? What could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hi miguelj, welcome to BC.
The beep code meaning varies depending on the bios used. We will need to know the make and model # of your computer. Continuous long beeps very often mean a memory issue but that would only be a guess right now. If this is a Dell desktop, and I only mention this as many people seem to own one, there should also be a set of diagnostics lights on the back. The manual tells you what they mean.

#3 miguelj

miguelj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

My computer was assembled and here are the specifications:
Pentium 4 2.66 ghz LGA
foxconn P4M800
512MB DDR 2 533 memory
ge force 128 mb fx5200
Samsung 40gb 7200 rpm hdd
I tkink the bios is phoenix

I also checked the error codes in the internet but mine seems different because it doesn't have short and long beeps it doesn't seem to end. Maybe I'll listen more careful to the beeps but I can't distinguish between long and short ones 'cause all beeps are about 4 seconds long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users