Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to run ComboFix in compatibility mode?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lubiih

Lubiih

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

I really need to have my pc cleaned, for I just received some severe virus threats, and I was told to use ComboFix, but i have Windows 8.1, wich is not supported by the program. Does anyone know if it is safe to run the program in compatibility mode? Because it sounds risky to me, since the program makes changes in the computer's system. Has anyone tried this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

No, run ComboFix only when adviced by an expert. If you have infections, you can ask here for help.

But do NOT run ComboFix!

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

No, ComboFix doesn't support Windows 8.1 and will not run in Compatibility Mode. Also, you shouldn't use ComboFix unless advised and under the supervision of a professional. You should read quietman7's ComboFix FAQ here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

All your questions are answered in it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Lubiih

Lubiih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

No, ComboFix doesn't support Windows 8.1 and will not run in Compatibility Mode. Also, you shouldn't use ComboFix unless advised and under the supervision of a professional. You should read quietman7's ComboFix FAQ here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

No, run ComboFix only when adviced by an expert. If you have infections, you can ask here for help.

But do NOT run ComboFix!

Thank you so much for your help!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

But do NOT run ComboFix!

Thank you so much for your help!

No problem! Thank you to quietman7 for his in-depth ComboFix FAQ also. He'll most likely come in this thread give you a few additional recommendations as well :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

For the record...system requirements for ComboFix are provided in the Authorized How to guide, on the authorized download page, and in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here topic.

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:
Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit)

Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix.

If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 8.1, it should provide a message alert: ComboFix is not meant to run in 'Compatibility Mode' and exit.
This message is intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on that operating system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

sUBs has advised that he is holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure they work safely on that OS.

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, other advanced tools are available but they cannot be used in this forum. You would need to follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help.

When you have done that, start a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Give it a relevant title along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Since you're using Windows 8.1 and cannot produce any of the required logs...start a new topic anyway. Just explain your operating system will not work with DDS to generate the required logs. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users