Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was my ROUTER infected, somehow? What can I do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Computer_Idiot_

Computer_Idiot_

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

Hello to all here, I was advised to post my questions here after Satchfan did a fantastic and patient job of helping me clear malware, etc, from my laptop: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558842/infected-with-malware-from-old-laptop-desperate/ (I haven't forgotten my promise, just not felt safe enough to do it yet!!)

To cut a long story short, I will go in order of what happened:

1. A casual Malwarebytes scan found 2 infections

2. I quarantined the infected files and also ran AVG Free and Superantispyware to clear-up any other issues

3. Because I have used my laptop for financial transactions for a family member I decided to restore to factory settings to 'overwrite' any remaining issues. I am not so bothered if my details are accessed, if anyone else's were I would be distraught

4. I re-installed Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and AVG. I ran a Malwarebytes and found over 200 infections, took the recommended action (quarantine) and did the same for Superantispyware and AVG. I closed the laptop down and have not switched it on again since

5. I then bought A NEW laptop (brand new) and reset my router before connecting it

6. I connected and installed Malwarebytes, AVG and Superantispyware. Malwarebytes found 200+ issues, with the names being the same as those which affected the old laptop

No-one has been able to explain how the old laptop was able to infect the new one when the old one was shut down never to be switched on again, before I bought the new one. 

Someone on another forum(not on these Boards)  suggested: that my antivirus/malware programmes are conflicting giving false detections. This is nonsense as it was never a problem before I restored the old laptop to factory settings. They also suggested that the sites I downloaded the free software from infected the laptop - again, nonsense for the same reason.

SO: my questions are:

1. Is, is my router affected, somehow, by malware?

2. If I bought an iPad to use with WiFi connection to that router (to use for financial stuff, shopping) would the same issues affect that iPad, too?

3. I I got a new router and thoroughly cleaned-up this NEW laptop again (using all the programmes Satchfan used on the above thread) should I be safe?

Sorry I have had to be longwinded, guys. :-/ 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

Yes, routers can have malicious applications installed that can infect your computer. Another possible vector for infection is USB storage devices. It has probably come from one of these two places.

No need to replace your router.

To reset your router to factory state there will be a pinhole that you can poke into. Hold the internal button down for 30 secs with your pointy object. The lights should be flashing by then. Then release and allow to reboot. Some routers require that the device is turned on with the button down, but that is far less common. You can then navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your browser (to admin the router), enter your password (written on the router, but also commonly "password") and set strong passwords for your router and wireless. This will give you a factory state, but secured.

To reset your usb devices, just right click the device inside Windows Explorer and select format. All data will be destroyed. Default Windows settings are fine. If you have USB mass external drives please write back for more securing techniques.

If your router is infected it can intercept your iPad traffic. Your network is most likely not secure at this stage.

You may need to redo your malware removal thread with your new machine... the exact same removal will not always work on the exact same infection.

TsVk!

#3 Computer_Idiot_

Computer_Idiot_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

Hey, thanks for your reply TsVk! :-)

This is the thing, though - I reset my router BEFORE I connected the new laptop to the WiFi network.

The thread I posted was the order of cleanups I did on this new laptop. I might rerun the whole lot periodically to ensure it's okay.  :radioactive:

This whole episode has left me baffled!!

One more stupid Q - if I get a data only SIM (the iPad is cellular + WiFi) will I ever need to connect it to the WiFi to 'activate' the SIM, or can I simply use cellular and only cellular? I really need to be able to do internet shopping for me (and my Gran) again :-/

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:38 AM

A possible vector for the malware to continue to be at your location is USB devices. USB sticks, external drives etc... it has to come from somewhere.

I don't know much about iPads specifically sorry, not really an Apple advocate.

#5 Computer_Idiot_

Computer_Idiot_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

Never used anything external on either of my laptops. No worries about the iPad Q, and thanks for all you help.

If anyone else could pitch-in as to whether they think I should be okay, that would be great because I jsut d not understand how an old laptop which was never reconnected to the WiFi infected a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users