Hello to all here, I was advised to post my questions here after Satchfan did a fantastic and patient job of helping me clear malware, etc, from my laptop: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558842/infected-with-malware-from-old-laptop-desperate/ (I haven't forgotten my promise, just not felt safe enough to do it yet!!)
To cut a long story short, I will go in order of what happened:
1. A casual Malwarebytes scan found 2 infections
2. I quarantined the infected files and also ran AVG Free and Superantispyware to clear-up any other issues
3. Because I have used my laptop for financial transactions for a family member I decided to restore to factory settings to 'overwrite' any remaining issues. I am not so bothered if my details are accessed, if anyone else's were I would be distraught
4. I re-installed Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and AVG. I ran a Malwarebytes and found over 200 infections, took the recommended action (quarantine) and did the same for Superantispyware and AVG. I closed the laptop down and have not switched it on again since
5. I then bought A NEW laptop (brand new) and reset my router before connecting it
6. I connected and installed Malwarebytes, AVG and Superantispyware. Malwarebytes found 200+ issues, with the names being the same as those which affected the old laptop
No-one has been able to explain how the old laptop was able to infect the new one when the old one was shut down never to be switched on again, before I bought the new one.
Someone on another forum(not on these Boards) suggested: that my antivirus/malware programmes are conflicting giving false detections. This is nonsense as it was never a problem before I restored the old laptop to factory settings. They also suggested that the sites I downloaded the free software from infected the laptop - again, nonsense for the same reason.
SO: my questions are:
1. Is, is my router affected, somehow, by malware?
2. If I bought an iPad to use with WiFi connection to that router (to use for financial stuff, shopping) would the same issues affect that iPad, too?
3. I I got a new router and thoroughly cleaned-up this NEW laptop again (using all the programmes Satchfan used on the above thread) should I be safe?
Sorry I have had to be longwinded, guys. :-/