Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet access

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kingdomleaf

Kingdomleaf

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:27 PM

I have two computers with the same problem: they will not open webpages with any browser.

The problem got weird, though, when I realized that I could "ping" any website with the command prompt, and am told that the internet access is up and running.

Also, another computer, the one I'm using now, is connected to the same router that they are, and gets access just fine.

To top it all off, one of the two disabled computers was working great on the internet until yesterday, when I tried to download Service Pack 2 from Microsoft. I turned on the download, went to bed, and when I woke up -- viola! no internet in my browser!

I really hope you can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:51 AM

A serious problem, by the sounds of it. One not likely to be caused by the OS alone. A HijackThis log would be helpful, and since two computers are involved, I guess that means two of 'em. You use three computers. What makes the third different also comes to mind when contemplating your problem. What makes the third different?

HJT analysis we like to do in a particular area of the board. Please post here. Download the tool here.
Instructions on using it are available. Using HijackThis to Remove Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

Not sure of what you use on these computers for firewalls or anti-malware, but these two programs are typically used as a first step and also within the fixes as well as recommended for daily use:

Download Spybot and Adaware from the following locations and install them. You should run both programs and clean up what it finds. This is to gaurantee that you find the most malware you can installed on your computer.

Before running the scans on both programs, it is mandatory that you update the programs. There are update options in each program when you run them.

Spybot

Ad-aware

If you would like to learn more about how to use these two programs with the proper settings you can read the tutorials below:

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer.

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer.

When you scan with both programs, fix everything that it finds. Hope we can help you. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Kingdomleaf

Kingdomleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:39 PM

A couple of things:

First of all, before I even posted here, I did all of the things you just said.

Second, I'm not really sure what not having any internet access has to do with browser hijacks: don't I need to see a webpage first before I decide that it's not the one I wanted?

Third: I thought there were supposed to be people who were actually trained in the Operating Systems who would answer questions. I know that in the HJT log forum, it says never to do anything until one of them says something.

If I'm off base anywhere, let me know.

Kingdomleaf

PS- Good suggestions, though. Had I not known to do those things, I would have gone to my computers and done them right away :thumbsup: .

#4 Kingdomleaf

Kingdomleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:43 PM

I hope that didn't sound "snippy." It's not that I'm trying to snub you or anything, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things -- my computers are unbearable as it is!

Thanks a lot, phawgg!

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:28 PM

they will not open webpages with any browser.

The HJT log would show:
what OS ya' got & it's update status
what browser (IE) update ya' got
and a lot more, too.
i imagine my computer in the same shape yours are now when thinkin' "how to fix this & communicate that to you"
Am I lookin' at a homepage when this problem starts?
HJT will tell me details.
What other programs running when this problem occurs? Might be they are to blame.
HJT will help answer that, too. Help, not tell me.

I know that in the HJT log forum, it says never to do anything until one of them says something.

well, thats sorta the idea, but you do have to operate independently to get through a fix. And it helps to reply back when you are involved in one.
I noticed you hadn't done that earlier this month, BTW.

I read two out of three have this problem: Internet access, Computers won't open pages
That doesn't tell me enough.
By pinging you are told that the internet access is up and running.
That doesn't tell me enough. either. Firewall involved?
HJT might enumerate that question for someone who might have an answer.

I don't have an answer, but if you post...
I'm not the only viewer of the post.
They too might desire more information.

Experts of operating systems?
Yes, they would be very helpful to thousands of people posting here. On a daily basis I'm certain they could solve many problems.
One might read this and answer.

A serious problem, by the sounds of it. One not likely to be caused by the OS alone. A HijackThis log would be helpful, and since two computers are involved, I guess that means two of 'em. You use three computers. What makes the third different also comes to mind when contemplating your problem. What makes the third different?

i still think details can help narrow down the possibilities.
Comments attached to HJT logs are helpful, also.
A hijack I really didn't think was the answer, either.
A defective browser maybe. Damaged file.
Do you use more than 1? What makes the third different?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users