Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

opening a closed external hard disk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wyce

wyce

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

I have an external hard disk which has been working very well since i bought it, but recently it stopped working in that whenever i plugg it into my PC its no longer visible. What might be the problem and what can i do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Try it on a different system. If the problem persists it's likely the drive is dead.

#3 wyce

wyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

okay thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

If the external has it's own USB bridge card, it's possible that has failed. Removing the drive and placing it in another enclosure or using a USB adapter may be worth it if the drive has important data on it.

From your post, have you opened the external already and attached it to the computer?

#5 wyce

wyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

I have opened it but its not yet attaced to te computer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Are you placing it in another enclosure? Avoid touching the PCB of the hard drive and be sure to ground yourself on some bare metal of the computer if attaching internally to a desktop.

#7 wyce

wyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Nope, I want to attach it to my computer. My computer has both windows 7&8 and would love to get rid of one OS thats windows 7,how can that be possible?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

You are dual booting windows 7 and windows 8 on one hard drive? Removing an OS from a dual boot computer especially with Windows 8 can be tricky. If the BCD became damaged you would need a Windows 8 install disk or a repair disk to do a startup repair.

#9 wyce

wyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

So its tricky I leave it that way?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

After you find out if you can get the data off the drive, I would start a new thread asking how to remove windows 7 from a dual boot drive. Here is a tutorial on the process.I would first create a Windows 8 rescue disk or a Recovery USB drive if you are using Windows 8.1. Somebody may have something else to add to your new thread.

#11 wyce

wyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Okay thanks will try as  I go through the tutorial.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Just make sure you create the System Repair Disk or a Repair Drive before you remove Windows 7 as that is your only way of repairing if the computer does not boot after you remove Windows 7. Make sure the Repair Disk or Repair Drive boots. You may have to disable Secure Boot in BIOS in order for the disk or USB flash drive to boot. Also if you are using the USB Repair Disk, Fastboot also has to be disabled in BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users