Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows fails to boot, repair/restore doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vetos

Vetos

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

Just installed a new mobo and CPU. I get about 2 seconds into the "Starting Windows" phase before the system freezes and restarts. I only get the option to run Startup Repair, but it has failed to solve the issue about 5 times now. System Restore doesn't solve it either.

I should note that I discovered my disk drives have been labeled differently. I have no idea how this happened. I made sure the correct drive has boot priority in BIOS but it didnt seem to make a difference. I also do not have an optical drive or a recovery disk handy. Not sure what I can do at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

If you are using the same hard drive as previously used with old motherboard...without reinstalling Windows...that's probably the cause of your frustration, IMO.

Louis

#3 Vetos

Vetos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

I agree with you, but what are my options to fix it? How can i repair the boot partition, or rewrite it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Clean install is my method, after running a hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive to be sure that I'm not just wishing and hoping that all will go well.

You could try removing the drivers that don't belong and replacing them with drivers that do belong...but I've always found it cleaner and more reliable to just do a clean install and reinstall apps at a leisurely (as I need/want them) pace.

Louis

#5 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Is the new motherboard the same chipset as the old one? If it isn't, the missing storage controller driver is probably causing a bluescreen about inaccessible boot device or something similar.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#6 Vetos

Vetos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

It is not the same chipset.

The motherboard has an LED display that shows error codes during POST, when the freeze occurs it shows a code that indicates "IDE initialization started" according to the manual.

I made a bootable USB with Windows 7 on and tried to reinstall. I got stuck again on the "Starting Windows" phase, but instead of restarting it's just frozen. I'm kind of afraid to do anything to it.

#7 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:58 AM

No need to get afraid. Actually this problem arises because of the defective hardware or the device drivers.  Also, a defective hard drive, RAM or any other hardware can cause the computer to freeze. To get out of frozen issue check the hardware issues and boot your computer in safe mode. Then restart it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users