Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor giving no visual feed once computer is turned on.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cobelt

cobelt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

I have put together a new computer from parts I ordered off Newegg to almost completely replace my old computer. Every component that would have been in the case of the old one is now replaced by new parts with the exception of my CD-ROM drive. I placed all of my new parts naked on a flat, plastic table stand without my old case and turned it on. The CPU fan started up strong and loud, then slowly died down in a conspicuous decrease of power as if it were taking its time powering down, but continued running all the while with fan still moving. My GPU's fans did not spin conventionally; the fans twitched every so often with no complete revolutions, but I believe this is a normal feature of its current model that does not spin until a certain temperature is reached. I am unsure of the specific shortened names on most of my hardware, so I will list them as they appear on Newegg.

The following is my newest hardware:

Power Supply;

Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M - SLI/ CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Gold Certification and Semi Modular Cables Black Active PFC Power Supply Intel Haswell Ready (PS-TPD-0750MPCGUS-1)

Video card/GPU;

EVGA 04G-2978-KR GeForce GTX 970 FTW 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0

CPU;

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

Hard drive;

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Motherboard;

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC Force LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory;

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Everything else including keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, and CD drive are what I have used in my previous build and are now a part of my newer build. They are:

Monitor; Acer S231HL Bbid ‑ 23" LED‑backlit LCD monitor

Mouse; Steelseries Sensei

Speakers; two simple and cheap Logitech speakers. unsure of specific model names.

Keyboard; cheap Dynex keyboard.

CD drive; cheap Lightscribe CD drive

I have plugged the VGA adapter from my Acer monitor into my motherboard, then tried to plug it into the GPU after it didn't give me any video feed, but this did not give anything other than a black screen on my display once the computer was turned on either. Neither method worked to give video to my monitor. If I unplug the adapter my monitor tells me there is no feed, but if it is plugged in this message does not appear. My GPU comes with two (ports?) that can be connected directly to my power supply which I have used both of them as the manual tells me all available slots should be used. Everything is spinning as I assume it should be and the motherboard obviously works as it lit up to show me the various buttons on it, but no video on my display. I was going to uninstall all my drivers (though I am unsure how to go about uninstalling every single one) as I assumed even though no hardware from my old build was being used, perhaps there is still data in my monitor holding its previous use with my older GPU. Whether or not that's true it was my last troubleshoot attempt. Before I tried I decided to post here, though. I would appreciate any help or advice on the matter. Please tell me if there is anything other info I should have provided. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hi .. the fans should be spinning on the vga card regardless of its temp. 

I suggest first trying to remove the card and double check the power connections make sure they are seated.

Make sure the video card is seated completely in the slot.

Be sure you disconnect the power plug from the PSU and touch the psu when you remove the card to ground yourself/discharge static.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 15 January 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#3 cobelt

cobelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

Hi .. the fans should be spinning on the vga card regardless of its temp. 

I suggest first trying to remove the card and double check the power connections make sure they are seated.

Make sure the video card is seated completely in the slot.

Be sure you disconnect the power plug from the PSU and touch the psu when you remove the card to ground yourself/discharge static.

Should I uninstall drives on my current build (the one I am using now to be here), or would that be doing nothing for the new build using the same monitor etc as my current build before trying to put it together again? I have read stuff such as: "The card is based on a nice thin dual-slot dual fan cooling solution, revision V of TwinFrozr. The TwinFrozr V’s Fans actually stop spinning below 60°C to reduce noise and increase fan life time. Zero/Hybrid Frozr is a throwback to 2008 when MSI was the first to market high-end, so that is zero noise graphics cards thanks to the fan stopping in low-temperature situations." in regard to the fans on my GPU.

#4 Nicknak1

Nicknak1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

Try taking out the gpu and plugging it into the intergrated graphics.When I say take it out, literally take it put of the case. That way, you can test if it's your cable, or graphics card. The reason for taking out the card is that most computers will disable intergrated graphics if a gpu is in. Try this and tell us what happens ^_^

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

Get it off of the plastic table to reduce the possible issue of static discharge.

#6 bikefixer

bikefixer

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:56 AM

Try taking out the gpu and plugging it into the intergrated graphics.When I say take it out, literally take it put of the case. That way, you can test if it's your cable, or graphics card. The reason for taking out the card is that most computers will disable intergrated graphics if a gpu is in. Try this and tell us what happens ^_^

Is GPU a Graphics card?

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

Technically the actual processor chip on the graphics card is the GPU, but people just use the terms 'GPU', 'Graphics Card' and 'Video Card' interchangeably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users