Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2.5" HDD 'upgrade' to WD Blue1TB Noise Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:15 AM

Hello BC,

This is the second Western Digital 1TB drive that I have installed in my laptop, within the last two days. The first drive was returned due to an irritating noise. After installing this one, and loading the OS, and all the updates, I have noticed that this drive is making the exact same noise. The drive passes the WD Diagnostic test, and I was wondering if there was anything else that I could try? I guess the noise could be desribed as seeking noise, but it is going at all times. I am slightly worried about adding anything important to the drive, because I have a fear of the drive dying on me. The drive is brand new, and I made the purchase from a local store. I was worried about ordering online, and having the drive dropped in the shipping process, and making noise. I would really appreciate it if someone could please help me out with this issue. Is there any third party software that could possible quiet the noise down? I have another thread on BC about a Western Digital HDD making noise, but that thread is about the drive on a desktop. Has anyone else been experiencing problems with Western Digital Blue Drives lately, or am I just having some bad luck at the moment.

Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Hello, 

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. It sounds unusual, and highly unlikely, that two hard drives have the same problem in a row. Have you tried the HDD in another laptop, or in an external docking station for example? 

The noise you are describing is a typically a symptom of hard drive mechanical issues, but in some cases it may be caused by improper installation (for example a loose screw or other vibrating part). Recently I solved a similar problem in a PC, the cause turned out to be the internal hard drive shelf not being tightly screwed in place. 

Never the less - if you feel uncomfortable do try the drive in another device and if the noise is still the same, I'll try my best to give advice and help in any way possible. 

Citizen_WD

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

Thank you very much for the reply Citizen_WD. I will give your suggestion a try later on today, and I will post back with my findings.

#4 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

I attached the drive to a SATA/USB adapter, and the noise is still present. If I let the drive run with just the power cable attached, I will not hear anything. Once I connect the SATA cable, and start to browse through the drive, that is when the noise becomes extremely noticeable. Do you happen to know what a "normal" seeking noise would be? Thank you for your time.

Edited by beachfeet, 18 January 2015 - 04:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users