Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reactivating With New Hardware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hello, I am helping a friend that had a motherboard go bad on an eMachine. I installed a new motherboard and everything works fine. When I try to reactivate the Windows XP home it tells me , It does not recoginize the number as a valid product ID. I know it has to be a valid number because he bought it new at Best Buy. I am told by Microsoft that I need to contact eMachine because they owned the copy of Windows that went with the computer. Does anyone know a way around this? I need to save the information on the hard drive and don't want to erase it and start over. I read somewhere if you get the same chipset it will not require the reactivation, but that did not happen in my case.
Thanks for any help you can give. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

The warranty and license that comes with a name brand computer comes from the computer assembler/manufacturer and not from Microsoft and the license is valid only on the original computer.

If Emachines replaced the mb under warranty they or Microsoft would then issue you another valid key number (or give you the long set of numbers it takes for your machine to authenticate).

Your only recourse, other than buying another valid copy of XP, would be through Emachines although you could certainly make a plea to the validation desk at Microsoft.

Good luck.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Thank you very much for your information. I am going to fill out a request with eMachine and see what they say. The computer is 2 years old. I have another copy of Windows xp with a valid # but I didn't want to lose the information on the drive. Do you have any ideas on how I can transfer any of the information without being able to log in. Can I put it as a second drive on my computer and get to the information that way? Thanks again !! :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

You can install the hdd as a slave on a different computer to access the data on it.

When you say you have another copy of Windows do you mean a new, never used retail copy with an unused 25 digit key?

Once a key has been activated on any other computer it will not authenticate on another one.

If you have a retail license (not one preinstalled by a computer manufacturer but one you bought as a retail version) that can be transferred legitimately but you will have to use the phone option for activation and explain to Microsoft that you have removed it from the original computer on which it was installed, or that the computer is no longer functional, and they will give you the series of numbers to validate the installation.

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Thank you, yes I have a retail copy of windows xp home with a new key. I will try that. Thanks for all of your help.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

I would try Emachines first rather than using a new XP license.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thank you for all of your help. I found this web site:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

and it explained how to install the new retail version of Windows xp as a repair install over the OEM version and not lose the original information on the drive. You have to be careful you don't choose the Repair with recovery console that comes up first. I was able to recover the hard drive information and it is now Activated.

Thanks again for all of your time !!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users