Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop up issues on Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hedyn

hedyn

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

I just joined BC and am looking forward to helpful hints in resolving issues at hand.  I have a desktop Mac OS X 1..9.5 Mavericks and I have been experiencing lots of pop ups when in Safari 7.1.2.  I have McAfee internet security that was installed by Cox Technicians.  Also when I disable the javascript the pop up goes away but then I can't watch anything that requires JavaScript, when it is enabled--pop ups occur after every click which is driving me crazy and ends up in system failure to be reported to apple or to purchase a software.

I have checked Enable javaScript and Block pop up windows (in safari>preference>security) but it is not working, even with allow plug-ins checked I still get pop ups in Safari.

I have not tried any of the CCleaner or Onyx which requires the 10.0 Mavericks and don't know how. Is there an easy way I can get rid of the pop ups for good?  Do I need to clean DNS cache? If yes, how on Mavericks 10.9.5 ?

I appreciate all the help an expert can provide :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

You might look through your Extensions in Safari and see if there is an Extension listed that you don't recognize. There are rogue Extensions that websites can install that will do things like re-direct home pages or other pages and also do annoying pop-ups.

OTOH, it could just be normal pop-ups that many websites use. You might need to do some screenshots for us to potentially assess whether it is run of the mill pop-ups or something more.

Your other overall option is to install the AdBlock extension. It will block pop-ups and ads in general.

#3 hedyn

hedyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I have checked the Extensions in Safari and there is nothing there, the button in on the off position therefore no extension are received or is shown.  I will do some screenshots of the pop ups.  

I just tried to add the AdBlock extension but it tells me that extensions are disabled, but they are not since I switched to on position.  

I will quite Safari, restart and will try again.  Any suggestion?

Thank You :)

#4 hedyn

hedyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

I switched back to off position and was able to ad the AdBloc extension.  So far so good, no pop ups.  Hopefully it will remain pop up free. 

Thank You So much smax013, God Bless :)

#5 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

If you're not sure you can generate a Logfile with EtreCheck see Post in another Thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563190/macnook-pro/?p=3596644

#6 hedyn

hedyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Yes, thank you, I will look in to it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users